Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust collection

Originally posted by secondo View Post
    Wood magazine has a coupon in it for the 2 hp dust collector for $139. I think the link is earlier in the thread. You can download it and bring it in and get it for that price (a little over $100 off).
    Thanks secondo! I found the ad in Wood magazine online. The coupons state that only original coupons apply; no photocopied or computer printed ones...?

Has anyone had an issue with printing one out and bringing it to the store?

Comment

Originally posted by DeerMeadowFarm View Post
      Thanks secondo! I found the ad in Wood magazine online. The coupons state that only original coupons apply; no photocopied or computer printed ones...?

Has anyone had an issue with printing one out and bringing it to the store?

I made a photocopy and I had no issue.
      Bert

Comment

OK, thanks everyone! This sounds like the way to go for me.

Comment

Finally I hope to be able to load my DC pictures ( nothign original or extra-ordinary).
          Attached Files

Comment

That setup will work, but you can install that baffle in your HF DC unit thereby reducing the length of hose your DC has to suck air through.

The shorter and smoother the hose, the better your DC will perform, in terms of vacuum.

I installed the baffle in my DC unit and run a 10' x5" flexible hookup hose. Works great.

Comment

Pics?????
              Bert

Comment

I was reading Bill Pentz's page again this morning and I reached the conclusion that the best way to go, is most likely to wear a respirator when doing wood working.
                I wear one at work from time to time, it does not bother me.
                Considering the expenses and the complexity involved with DC and the hoses crawling all over the place, the filters to clean and to replace and the fact that we never can capture 100% of the ambient dust, respirator make a lot of sense.
                They are inexpensive (in my case free), light , the cartridge are very efficient and easy to replace.
                The only advantage of DC is to capture the dust which rests every where is not captured, but if I have a shop separated from the house, then I do not really care about this dust. The only one I really care about is the one entering and staying in my lungs.
                I know one thing for sure: I use MDF once and I will never again use it just because of the dust. This stuff is insane and it should be prohibited.
                Bert
                Last edited by b2rtch; 01-27-2010, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                  Pics?????
                  Bert
                  I posted pictures of this mod earlier in this thread. Although the pictures are not of my unit, the baffle install is identical.

Placing the baffle in your DC will eliminate the length of hose your current setup uses by one half. Removing this amount of hose and the trash can separator will greatly enhance the power of your DC.

Bill makes a number of matters very clear. One, that you need to move a lot of air. Alot. Two, failing to capture dust at the point of creation renders even the most powerful DC unless.

A dust mask is probably not a bad idea.Keep in mind that the dust that is harmful is also invisible. It will travel into your living space either from your clothes or the simple act of opening the passage door between the two spaces.

Comment

Peters,
                    Thank you for all your help and information.
                    I was not thinking about using a dust mask but a real respirator that I have at home from work (I did not steal it, it was given to me and I get the replacement cartridges free also!)
                    I used to wear it at work 6 to 8 hours/day.
                    It never bothered me wearing it.
                    This is a very effective and economical solution.
                    The dust collector/air filter solution is becoming quite expensive for a hobby and it is not as effective, for my lungs, as wearing a respirator.
                    The DC is good for collecting the saw dust from the saw and from the planer, as to clean the whole shop air with it ????
                    I work for a pharmaceutical company, we work in clean rooms and our air cleaning, conditioning and humidifying system is very extensive ( air coming in and air getting out). I do not believe that you could clean the air of a whole shop through only a dust collector, it seems to me that this would require much more serious equipment.
                    The garage I use as shop is separated from the house so I do not have a big problem of contaminating the house with the dust from the shop.
                    I am looking at buying a house with a separated shop.
                    Bert
                    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the late post. I have the 1 hp unit. The one you can hang on the wall. It's great for the guy that has to move his tools around because they are all in the garage. This unit works great for that. I would get a bigger unit if I actually had a shop and more space.
                      NewTools4You.com, your source for Power Tools like a cordless drill driver!

Comment

Working...
                      X