X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust collection

According to the R4511 owner's manual, using the dust chute without a 4" dust collector is hazardous. Does anyone know why? Why not just use a 2-1/2" hose with an adapter?

Re: Dust collection

The concern is that a ShopVac might not be able to clear out the chute as good as the 4" dust collector. If that happens the cabinet could fill with dust and cause a fire hazard (overheating the motor, etc)

I know of a few people here that use a ShopVac hook up. Just need to be careful that you check inside the cabinet every now and then to make sure the sawdust isnt piling up.

id plan on upgrading dust collection too, it really does work better with a 4" hose.

Comment

I used the shop vac connection on mine for awhile, but got tired of continually checking for blockage. I finally broke down and bought a new collector. It's portable and I can easily hook it up to all of my equipment. (It's small, on wheels, or you can hang it on the wall like I did) 900 cfm 1 hp unit. If you have a harbor freight near you you can see it there or at their web site. It cost me under $100.
      NewTools4You.com, your source for Power Tools like a cordless drill driver!

Comment

Originally posted by pritchb View Post
        I used the shop vac connection on mine for awhile, but got tired of continually checking for blockage. I finally broke down and bought a new collector. It's portable and I can easily hook it up to all of my equipment. (It's small, on wheels, or you can hang it on the wall like I did) 900 cfm 1 hp unit. If you have a harbor freight near you you can see it there or at their web site. It cost me under $100.
        I have been looking at their site as well and wondering how well they work. They have two portables for around $100, which one did you buy? It sounds like you are pleased with yours. Thanks for the input.

Comment

I clean mine out at least once a week, or every day if I'm working on something large..

I milled a cove in some 5" wide MDF and the cabinet was full in a half hour.. Dust collection or not.. Was a PILE built up along the sides.

The BEST the shop vac could do was to suck out a trench.

I've got a copy of the coupon for the HF 2HP 5 micron dust collector @ $140, out of an online edition of a magazine that I can send you if you need.. Expires 2/6
          Last edited by DarkWolf; 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I use a shop vac for dust collection in my small shop. I have made some mods to the inside of the cabinet to improve it. Here are some pictures of what I have done. It has improved dust collection 100% over what it was as stock. I still get a dust pile just inside of the cabinet door so I think I need to extend the dust slot in the floor toward the door.

I have sealed the cabinet around the top and bottom, there is foam insulation between the bottom of the cabinet and the stock dust chute, I put refrigerator magnetic posties over the tilt slot and drilled a 1" hole in the blade guard for a second dust port around the blade. I have installed insulation foam around the door opening and a wooden cover to seal the top of the door. I made a 3/8" notch in the door bottom, to clear the 45 deg side plates installed in the bottom of the cabinet. I used Al furnace tape to seal all cracks and seams.

I got a lot of ideas from "Dust-Proof Any Tablesaw" from "Fine Woodworking" May/June 2009. Very good artical by Richard Babbitt.

Attachment Attachment
            Attachment Attachment
            Attachment Attachment
            Attachment Attachment
            Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

I think I would leave the opening on the plastic door unblocked to promote air circulation within the cabinet. The way I see it, if air flows through the cabinet, it's the air flow that will carry the debris out with it.

Comment

A shop vac will provide very limited dust collection capability. Perhaps a 2 1/2" hose attached to the blade guard will help capture most of the dust released above the board. But there is a reason table saws with DC capabilities utilize a 4" hookup. Anything less is simply inadequate.

The long term effects of exposure to 1 micron dust particles is indeed dangerous. Google Bill Pentz for all the info you care to have about DC. Be warned, it's a comprehensive site. And there many reasonable solutions available.

The Harbor Freight DC and a Wynn Environmental cartridge filter will get you in the ball park for about as little money as you could expect (less than $300).

Comment

old snuffy...that's a well done table top dust collection attachment. what has been your experience with it's performance? and where did you find the parts you used, specifically the black attachment that protrudes into the blade guard and the piece that couples it with the 2.5" hose? the info would be appreciated. thanks.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

The black piece going into the Blade Guard is a standard 1 1/4" to 2 1/2" adaptor. It works pretty good to keep the table top clear. The hole I drilled into the Blade Guard is 1 1/4", I just used a hole saw.

Since I sealed the bottom of the cabinet I don't get much saw dust on the table top with or without the blade guard collection installed.

Comment

so if one wanted to improve a saw's dust collection, you would concentrate on sealing up the cabinet before worrying about table top dust collection? BTW, your approach to directing the dust to where you want it in the cabinet looks great. i have that dustproofing table saw article and admit i have to review it again. thanks.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Where did you purchase the 4 to 2.5 adapter? I went to HD and they did not have anything. Odd I thought since I have Ridgid table saw and Ridgid shop vac.

Comment

That looks like a sweet custom job, I'll try it, probably with a HF collector. Thanks for the great response and photos.

One question though:

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                          The long term effects of exposure to 1 micron dust particles is indeed dangerous.
                          If 1 micron particles are the problem, why is filtering 35 microns (Harbor Freight portables) to 5 microns (2 HP Harbor Freight) the solution? Is there a way to modify the filter?

Comment

Has anyone used the Onieda Dust Deputy? It's a cyclone unit that attached to any shop vac. Here is there link and than a link of someone that made his own. I'm thinking of getting one. Feed back please
                            http://www.dustdeputy.com/
                            http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19069

Comment

Dust Deputy works great. I have one in use with my shop vac and have sanded many, many panels and have not had to change or clean the filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X