Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Fence Faces

Hi,

Thinking of adding fence faces to my R4511. Just wondering if any of you have done this to your saws. My idea is to use UHMW plastic 5/8' thick x 2 1/2" high x 36'' long. For those that have done this what material did you use and what thickness and height did you make your face? Also, are the 3 pre-drilled holes in the fence adequate to fasten the face to the fence or did you drill more? I'm guessing to just drill and countersink the fence material for a bolt and nut to fasten face to fence. Any advice and pics from those that have done this would be appreciated,

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: R4511 Fence Faces

I just picked up some PVC and plan on using it for the fence faces. I will be making it 1/4" taller than the fence and 1/2" in front and back. The material was inexpensive and should hold up rather well.

Comment

Where did you find PVC sheet?

Comment

Found it a Lowe's. 6 feet was about $10. Got the idea from an episode of "This Old House". They had constructed the outside window trim with the PVC material as it won't shrink and paints just like wood. Cutting the stuff is a breeze and is not hard on the blade.
        Last edited by PaulJerome; 01-19-2010, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsilva View Post
          Hi,

Thinking of adding fence faces to my R4511. Just wondering if any of you have done this to your saws. My idea is to use UHMW plastic 5/8' thick x 2 1/2" high x 36'' long. For those that have done this what material did you use and what thickness and height did you make your face? Also, are the 3 pre-drilled holes in the fence adequate to fasten the face to the fence or did you drill more? I'm guessing to just drill and countersink the fence material for a bolt and nut to fasten face to fence. Any advice and pics from those that have done this would be appreciated,

Thanks,
          Bob

I have block of UHMW at home. 5"x5"x120"
          I tried to rip it on 3/8 sheet on the table saw, this is almost impossible.
          The materiel is very easy to cut but it makes extremely long fibers which fill the cabinet and get entangled in everything under the table, the belt , the pulleys and everything else.
          I had to give up trying to cut it on my saw.
          May be a band saw would work better.
          I ended up using melamine, it works OK
          Bert

Comment

Cutting UHMW
            http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=6789

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post

I thank you for that.
              I have no problem cutting it with a combination blade. The issue is that it makes very long fibers (several feet long), string like , that get entangled in everything in the cabinet.
              It entangles itself around everything which move making a big huge ball of 'stuff".

This is why I stop trying to cut it on my table saw.
              Bert

Comment

Cuts much better with a band saw. Whatever you cut it with, you don't want a whole bunch of teeth. Circular saw...maybe 24 teeth. Bandsaw 3 to 6 teeth per inch.

Best UHMW guides I have seen are here:
                http://www.plasticsintl.com/document...%20UHMW-PE.pdf
                http://www.redwoodplastics.com/index...ion_guidelines
                Last edited by tomapple; 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I used 3/8" UHMW and just put two sided carpet tape on it. It works great and not having to drill holes. I do wish I had used 1/2" at least but to late now. I may replace it down the road though. Just cut it with the blade the saw came with. No stopping, steady feed.
                  Charles

Comment

I used 1/2" UHMW and the 3 holes in the fence. I'm not by my saw now, but I think I made it 3" high (a little higher than the stock fence). Good luck, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulJerome View Post
                      Found it a Lowe's. 6 feet was about $10. Got the idea from an episode of "This Old House". They had constructed the outside window trim with the PVC material as it won't shrink and paints just like wood. Cutting the stuff is a breeze and is not hard on the blade.

What is it sold for at Lowes? So I can find it. Which department in other words?

Comment

How does adding a face on the fence affect reading the scales on the front rail? Do you just add the width of the face to the desired cutting width or do you actually reposition the scales on the rails?

Comment

if the fence material isn't exorbitantly thick, you could just put a new indicator line on the plastic window on the T-square portion of your fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ing View Post
                            What is it sold for at Lowes? So I can find it. Which department in other words?
                            I went lowes and 8 feet was $20 for 6 inch. x 1/2 inch I believe. They also had 4 inch as well.

Its around the trim modeling area. There was about 6 feet width of various PVC trims.

I did not buy it. Was not sure the size I wanted or for the money an upgrade to another material.

Comment

I used 3/4 UMHW. It cut clean, but as noted produces long strings and I had to vacuum the cab pretty thoroughly, and soon after got a DC unit and it still pulled out some strings I missed.

I used the 3/4 on both sides because I liked the weighty feel as now the fence glides and feels like a fence should. I through bolted and counter bored. I cut mine about 1/2 inch taller than the fence, which makes a little storage ledge for my push stick.

Comment

Working...
                              X