X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• central machinery 16 speed floor press

Does anybody own this drill? I've been looking at the ridgid floor model but I'm not sure about dropping 300 bucks on a tool I'm not gonna be working that hard. I also checked out some bench presses but I want to buy something that I won't find myself wanting to upgrade soon. I know the general opinion of HF tools is not great but the few reviews I've found on this press have been good. I'm sure the ridgid floor model is of better quality but if the CM press is even decent I would be a lot happier spending 189 as opposed to 299. Any help or advice would be great.

Re: central machinery 16 speed floor press

I do not have one but I know of people who use it daily in their shop and they are happy with it.
    Do not forget to use a 20% off coupon.
    In case you do not have one, there is one floating around on this forum in the "drill press" thread.
    Bert

Comment

Generally speaking, many woodworkers do not use their drill presses on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be without mine, but I look at the drill press as a tool that is very easy to over spend on. Most of the Central Machinery drill presses get favorable reviews so I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Personally, I have a no name floor DP that serves me very well. As long as the HF model suits your needs in areas such as quill travel and very small to no run-out issues then I'd go with the lesser expensive of the two. The good thing is that, hassle as it would be, either unit can be returned if it doesn't live up to your expectations.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I bought an HF drill press ( a 12 speed bench mounted) just about 2 weeks ago, then I returned if the next day.
        The reason I returned it is that it had no power.
        I do not know if this was particular this very machine or to this model which had the issue.
        I would have had to try another one.
        The motor was announced as 1/2Hp and yet it did not had enough power to drill a 3/8" hole in steel
        Except for that it was a very nice machine.
        I have been shopping for a DP for quite a while now and I now guess that HP are not always HP.
        Last Sunday I was looking at Sears DP, I looked at one on which the label was saying 1 developed HP ( what ever a developed HP is. THIS IS GIMMICK TO MAKE YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU GET SOMETHING THAT IN FACT YOU DO NOT GET: POWER)) but the label on the motor said 1/3HP.
        So be careful what you buy.
        Bert
        Last edited by b2rtch; 01-20-2010, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I bought a table top DP from Lowe's on a close out last year. Only $69 for a 6 or 8 speed Task Force DP. It has worked great for mortises. The last project alone had over 250 mortises in it. I have had everything from a 16 speed Jet floor stand to this Task Force and to be honest you really only use a couple of the speeds. You can really overpay for something like this. BTW, I saw the same DP at Sears under the Craftsman name this year just with a different label on it.
          Last edited by NW Diver; 01-21-2010, 05:59 PM.
          Charles

Comment

What really makes the difference for me is the distance between the column and the chuck asnd the ability to bore large holes in wood..
            I was looking last week at radial saw where this distance is measured not in inches but in feet. Grizzly has one for only $225.00 slightly more expensive then HF, in fact he same saw I believe.
            Bert

Comment

I've got the Central Machinery 38142 13" bench top DP that's very similar to the larger floor model. It's been a great DP for me...no complaints for what it cost.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                I've got the Central Machinery 38142 13" bench top DP that's very similar to the larger floor model. It's been a great DP for me...no complaints for what it cost.

This is the same one I bought 2 weesk ago for 79.99 after it was on sale and an additional 20% rebate.
                The one I had was totally gutless, even in the lowest speed I could hold the chuck in my hand turn the machine on hand hold the chuck.
                I should try another one.
                I think that the issue could have been with the particular one I had.
                Except for that (!!!!!!!!!) it is a very nice machine.
                I bought their dust collector last night for $139.00.
                Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                  This is the same one I bought 2 weesk ago for 79.99 after it was on sale and an additional 20% rebate.
                  The one I had was totally gutless, even in the lowest speed I could hold the chuck in my hand turn the machine on hand hold the chuck.
                  I should try another one.
                  I think that the issue could have been with the particular one I had.
                  Except for that (!!!!!!!!!) it is a very nice machine.
                  I bought their dust collector last night for $139.00.
                  Bert
                  Are you sure you didn't get their smaller benchtop DP? They have 2 smaller bench DPs too. The 38142 is normally around $220, and can get as low as the $140s, but I've never seen it remotely close to $80. It's a fairly large benchtop DP with a pretty stout 3/4hp motor. Check the model #...it's likely a 44505 (8", ~ $90) or 44836 (10", $150)
                  Last edited by hewood; 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I just picked up this (like new) Craftsman 2/3HP DP on Craigslist for $65. Should serve my needs..
                    Have you looked in your area on CL?
                    http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ch+Power+Tools

If anyone needs it, here is the link to the new 20% HF coupon good till March http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg
                    Last edited by Altima 3.5; 01-22-2010, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added coupon

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                      Are you sure you didn't get their smaller benchtop DP? They have 2 smaller bench DPs too. The 38142 is normally around $220, and can get as low as the $140s, but I've never seen it remotely close to $80. It's a fairly large benchtop DP with a pretty stout 3/4hp motor. Check the model #...it's likely a 44505 (8", ~ $90) or 44836 (10", $150)

You are right, my mistake mine was the 1/2HP.
                      Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Altima 3.5 View Post
                        I just picked up this (like new) Craftsman 2/3HP DP on Craigslist for $65. Should serve my needs..
                        Have you looked in your area on CL?
                        http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...ch+Power+Tools

If anyone needs it, here is the link to the new 20% HF coupon good till March http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

I looked at this DP at Sears, I did not like it.
                        It seems too "light".
                        Bert

Comment

I have an older version of the Central Machinery floor drill press. I am not sure how many speeds I have on those pulleys as I generally run the same setting for wood, as I don't drill too much metal.
                          It is a heavy duty unit with a worklight, and I've had it for 15 years and no problems. Very powerful and precise. No issues whatsoever, a good machine.

Comment

I own the HF12 Speed Central Machinery Floor Production Drill press and I love it, I have had it for about 5 years. I recently swapped with my brother for my dads Sears drill press. He needed a bigger drill press for his small business and he uses it about 3 to 4 days a week. I bought mine when it was $199 on sale. Since buying my Oscillating Sander I do not use my drill press for sanding anymore.

I like HF because you can find steal, deals and junk. The fun is figuring out what is junk.
                            Regards
                            Randy

Suggest A Fix PC Support Forums, Wilders Security Forums, Free on line virus Scan, The Parasite Fight
                            ASAP Proud member since 2004 ~ Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals
                            Outpost Firewall User's Support Forum

WinMe, OutPost FireWall Pro V2.5 Beta, FireFox 1.0PR, SpyBlocker 8.5/SpywareStopper 7.0, Nod32 AV, Trojan Hunter and alot of other goodies.

Comment

Originally posted by GoonMan View Post
                              ...I like HF because you can find steals, deals and junk. The fun is figuring out what is junk.
                              ...Ain't that the truth!

Comment

Working...
                              X