X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 dust chute: install or not?

Somewhere in all the great assembly tips on this board I've read the answer to this but even with the search function I can no longer find it.

I'm wondering whether or not to go ahead and install the dust chute and dust port. First question is, do you install the dust chute whether or not you're going to install the dust port? And since I've read here that considerable re-doing is required to install the dust port after the saw is put together, should I go ahead and install it now just in case I later get a DC system?

I have never used a DC system before; I've simply pushed my saws out of my small shop into the driveway and sawed away (I'm pretty low volume).

Unless it's really necessary I hadn't planned on a DC system at this time, if ever. Or should I just bite the bullet and get one of those HF cheapies or a Dust Deputy?

Thanks for opinions.

Ed

Re: R4511 dust chute: install or not?

By all mean, install it.
    It did not install mine and now I regret it.
    Even if you do not have a dust system, you can use a shop vac or even if necessary empty it by hand daily.
    To install mine now that I have installed a router table and an extension table I shall either have to dismantle everything or find a way the lifth the whole thing.
    One way or the other it is going to be a nightmare, I wish I had installed the dust pan to start with.
    Remember to install it BEFORE you install the Herculift.

I was looking a dust deputy yesterday, they are tempting.
    Did you see this guy who made his own?

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19069

Bert
    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Hey Bert, thanks for the reply.

Are you saying to install both the chute and the port, or just the chute?

Comment

I would install both even I believe that you can install the port later from outside (I am not sure).
        Bert

Comment

Hi Bert, I bought my saw used and the chute had not been installed. I did not have the ability to turn the saw on its' side as the directions suggest, so I removed the herculift, installed the chute and then reinstalled the lift. It is a pain, but it would be much better then taking off your extensions and such. The port is easy, four screws that you bolt onto the chute. This can be done in minutes at anytime. Hope this helps, Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by DrumFun View Post
            Hi Bert, I bought my saw used and the chute had not been installed. I did not have the ability to turn the saw on its' side as the directions suggest, so I removed the herculift, installed the chute and then reinstalled the lift. It is a pain, but it would be much better then taking off your extensions and such. The port is easy, four screws that you bolt onto the chute. This can be done in minutes at anytime. Hope this helps, Adam.
            So you can easily install the port after the whole saw is assembled then?

Comment

I would not say easy, but yes it can be done. If you think you may use it at all in the future I would recommend doing it now.

Comment

I might install mine this weekend as I plan on buying the HF DC for $139.00 -20% rebate ( even if it is not the best, it certainly beats having nothing at all).
                I plan on lifting the whole thing with a chain hoist and nylon straps.
                Bert

Comment

I just finished installing the dust pan and the port.
                  It went much much easier than anticipated.
                  I raised the saw with a floor jack and blocked it on 4x4.
                  I removed the herculift, installed the pan, reinstalled the Herculift and then installed the port
                  Total: may be one hour.
                  Next step: install the HF dust collector I bought yesterday.
                  Bert

Comment

Working...
                  X