X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blades for a bandsaw

I just stumbled into a $150 delta bandsaw at lowes (they are replacing them with Porter Cable BS's so they've lowered the price at some stores). It is model 28-276. I thought I'd post it here both because you guys saved me so much money on the R4511 that I thought perhaps someone else could benefit from it.

I also wondered what kinds of blades I should get for it. You all gave me so much good advice on the tablesaw I thought there might be obvious answers about blades for bandsaws, too.

thanks,

Hugh

Re: Blades for a bandsaw

For starters I'd recommend you get these two blades;

1. ¼ wide x 6TPI Hook Tooth
    2. ½" wide x 3TPI Hook Tooth

The ¼" blade will allow you to make small radius cuts and at the same time do general all around work while the ½" will allow you to resaw if the need arises. These blades may not be what you'll end up using down the road but for starters they'll cover most of your needs.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Cool, thanks, and another dumb question - are there lots of different quality blades like on tablesaws or do people just buy the one made by the company that makes the tool?

Comment

Absolutely there is a difference in the quality of bandsaw blades. As you will probably find out soon, the blades that come with most new saws are not very good. There are a number of online places to buy blades at with a couple being Woodcraft Brands Inc(no relation to the other Woodcraft I believe) and Suffolk Machinery. Get yourself a good book on bandsaws, such as Lonnie Bird's The Bandsaw Book, and you'll soon find that a bandsaw is one of the most useful and handy tools you can own. Also, here's a great video that will show you how to tune-up your new bandsaw.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have had good luck with Timberwolf blades, particularly for the 1/2" 3 TPI for resawing. One of the problems with 14" bandsaws is that although the manual says it will take a 3/4" blade, the saw does not have enough structural strength to properly tension it. The Timberwolf blades are thinner, and do not take as much force to properly tension. For the narrower blades, I have had good experience with Lennox brand.

Go
          Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

iturra design is the only place i get my blades. i have had very bad experiences with faulty welds on several timberwolf blades and keep clear of them. this video shows what a bad weld can look like on a BS (note the oscillating motion of the blade):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxBP8YBKYM

the blade in that video is a 1/2" .025" 6tpi timberwolf. same thing happened with 4 other TWs of differing sizes.

here is the same saw with a 1/2" .025 3tpi lennox from iturra design. and this is before i reversed the adjustments made by a jet authorized dealer which left my wheels in a noncoplanar state:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67s4qtbxHsk

that's a nickel on edge on the table just to the left of the blade. and the saw is on a rickety htc 1000 mobile base that is wholly inadequate. i was chasing problems that were probalby all blade related and lou iturra finally started me on the road to real solutions. and there's rpobably no one who knows more about delta and jet BSs than lou. if you can get one of his catalogs, it is full of both useful products adn articles on delta band saws. he has no website but can be reached here:

http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_l6b7r

good luck and enjoy your new saw. i saw it at lowes and it is a pretty good value at $399, and an exceptional value at $150. it has all the basic features you would want, most notably a tension lever. relaxing blade tension at the end of the day will help keep the blade from stretching and the tires from developing flat spots, both of which can adversely affect saw performance and cut quality.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Fabulous, thanks for all the good advice. I"ve ordered the book (and enjoyed the table saw book that you recommended in another thread - feeling much safer and wiser because of it). I've also watched the videos you all posted and there is tons of great info there, so thanks again!

Secondo

Comment

By the way, now I can confirm the answer you guys gave to my questions above. I'm sold on the value of a great blade. I ordered better blades from Highland woodworking in Atlanta and can't quite understand how they could possibly be so much better than the stock blade. cutting a precise curve just went from difficult to easy in a flash.

Also I'll mention that I'm jealous of all the people finding the Ridgid bandsaw on sale right now. I've seen people posting about it and that was unquestionably the saw I wanted over the Delta, but the sale price made the Delta a saw I couldn't resist. Now some have found the Ridgid for about the same price. I won't cry too much, but I'm definitely a Ridgid guy at heart.

Hugh

Comment

I bought the timberwolf blades from suffolk. The blades worked great and the company was a pleasure to deal with. I think I called them to place the order to make sure I got the right length. They had a buy3 get one free deal. Which was nice because I would have only gotten 1 0r 2 blades at the time. But I found out that each blade has it's purpose and have used them all for various projects.

Comment

Working...
                  X