X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Biesemeyer (or clone) fence install

I posted earlier about the feasibility of installing a Delta Unifence on an R4511, and judging by the number of responses (0), and some more consideration on my part, it looks like there's no practical way to do it.
    So now I'm considering a Biesemeyer or Biese clone fence system. Just a few questions:
    Is an OFFICIAL Biesemeyer fence systems really any better than a clone like the Shop Fox version?
    They all look like they utilize one, front-only rail. Is this accuarate?
    If there is a front rail only, then all I should have to do it drill holes in the new angle iron to the threaded inserts in the R4511 top, right?
    If I go with the extra long rails some manufacturers sell (like 7') for added resaw capacity later, how does one attach an extension table to the granite?
    Does anyone know if the Craftsman granite hybrid saws rail and angle will line up with the Ridgid (and make the whole process much easier)
    Finally, if extra long rails are installed but the corresponding extension table is delayed for a while (like months), will the added weight of the unsupported long ends of the rails hurt anything?
    Thanks so much for whatever help you can offer!

Re: R4511 Biesemeyer (or clone) fence install

the is probably no reason any fence/rail combination cannot be installed on the 4511, or almost any saw, for that matter. the 4511 adds the complexity of drilling and tapping(?) holes in teh granite top to accomodate the holes in the rails or rail supports. far easier would be re-drilling holes in teh rails or rail supports to correspond with the holes in the granite top. although a little tedious, this is not terribly complex. i am not familiar with the unifence system so there may be something specific to it that precludes its use on a 4511 that i am not aware of, so i'll pass on commenting on the unifence. search this forum and there are several threads on fence systems installed on the 4511 as well as router tables that nest between the rails and to one side of the granite table extensions that speak to how weight affects or doesn't affect the rails. HTH.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

" how does one attach an extension table to the granite?'
      I have attached my extension and router table not to the granite itself but the new rear and the existing front angle irons.
      In fact in the rear I installed two angle irons, one to replace the existing one on which the fence rides and another one on which the extension table rests and is bolted to.
      I replaced the existing cap-screws with longer ones.
      It was quite easy to do.
      I made an extension table and I reuse an existing router table.
      I replace the rear angle iron because it was too short and flimsy for what I wanted to do, the front one was fine.
      I might replace the front square tubing with a one piece one later on.
      Bert
      Last edited by b2rtch; 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM.

Comment

I just finished mounting my 54" Biesmeyer fence on my 4511 about an hour ago. The fence system has 2x2x6' angle iron on the front and I think it's 1.5x2x6' angle on the back. This gives the extension table a lot of support. Especially if it is also secured to the main table. None of the factory holes on either piece of angle lined up with the 4511! I had to re-drill all 3 holes in the angel iron that mount to the main table and left wing on both pieces. And, I had to re drill the 9 holes on the angle iron that the guide rail mounts to. So, t's like 15 holes on hardened angle iron.

My setup was mounted to an old craftsman cast iron saw. No, nothing lines up. I already had a right extension/router table. It mounts to the main top after removing the right wing. I wouldn't use the longer rails without an extension table for additional support.

I connected the right extension table to the factory studs on the saw. My extension table is made out of 3/4" melamine with 4/4 x 2.5" maple trim around the sides with a couple of cross members. It measures 50" x 27" and makes a great work surface. I love being able to write notes on the melamine and being able to clean it right up. It didn't take too long to make. You have a table saw, after all!

I lost the Hercu-lift system and mounted the whole set up on a solid core 1.75" commercial birch vanier door with 6-2.5" casters. This also allows me to have a solid leg on the right side for additional support of the extension table.

I haven't figured out how to post pictures, but stay tuned. It should happen soon. I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by jason mowery View Post
          Is an OFFICIAL Biesemeyer fence systems really any better than a clone like the Shop Fox version?
          Having owned both, I'd say they're functionally about the same. IMHO, the Biese has a nicer fit and finish, has laminate faces vs the UHMW plastic on the SF Classic, and has a wider stock rip capacity (30" vs 26"). My Biese went when I sold my last saw, and the Shop Fox Classic came on my Shop Fox cabinet saw....I preferred the Biese but wasn't willing to spend several hundred dollars to upgrade over some cosmetic things, but I did end up stumbling into a great deal on a new Jet Exacta II fence that fit on the Shop Fox rails. I like the Exacta II (by HTC) as well as the Biese. I also ended up sliding the SF rails to the right for 36" rip capacity.

Comment

I posted earlier about the feasibility of installing a Delta Unifence on an R4511, and judging by the number of responses (0), and some more consideration on my part, it looks like there's no practical way to do it.
            So now I'm considering a Biesemeyer or Biese clone fence system. Just a few questions:
            They all look like they utilize one, front-only rail. Is this accuarate?
            If there is a front rail only, then all I should have to do it drill holes in the new angle iron to the threaded inserts in the R4511 top, right?
            If I go with the extra long rails some manufacturers sell (like 7') for added resaw capacity later, how does one attach an extension table to the granite?
            Does anyone know if the Craftsman granite hybrid saws rail and angle will line up with the Ridgid (and make the whole process much easier)
            Finally, if extra long rails are installed but the corresponding extension table is delayed for a while (like months), will the added weight of the unsupported long ends of the rails hurt anything?
            Thanks so much for whatever help you can offer!
            There's a good possibility that the Industrial Fence system on the Steel City 35930 table saw might bolt up without any modifications. From what I've read, Steel City's 35930, 39520 and the Ridgid R4511 are all nearly identical internally. Many parts are interchangeable between the three. I've purchased zero clearance table inserts made for the 35930/20 and they fit without any modifications. Some users have purchased riving knives from Steel City for their Ridgid R4511s and only needed to grind the bottom of the knife to get it to fit. Other differences include a full cabinet, slightly larger motor (1 3/4 HP), difference in mobile base systems and, of course, the fence systems.

The 39520 appears to have a fence system very similar to the R4511. Some people claim that the Industrial Fence system included with the 35930 is superior to the Biesemeyer system. I inquired with Steel City about purchasing the Industrial Fence system, but was redirected to their local reseller, Woodcraft. I never followed up on it.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question. I think I will first follow up with the Steel City lead, and maybe pursue the Shop Fox avenue as an alternate. Thanks again!

Comment

Hey MK2 .... would really like to see your pics... so hurry up and figure it out!! Just kidding! But I'm trying to picture it in my little head and it's not coming in clear... would appreciate it!! Thanks!

Comment

While doing some research, it sounds like the Delta T2 fence might be worth considering too...any thoughts on that?

Comment

While doing some research, it sounds like the Delta T2 fence might be worth considering too...any thoughts on that?
                    Often referred to as a "Biese Lite". Not quite in the league of the bigger t-square fences, but is a good fence and a heck of a bang for the buck IMHO @ around half what a Commercial Biese costs.

Comment

1st post....Woo-Hoo!!

I'm working on doing that as we speak. Here's a couple of things I'm running in to. The front rail on the T-2 sits too low, as as been previously mentioned. I found that if I leave the Ridgid front rail on....and stack the T-2 rail right on top of it, it brings it up to a almost perfect height. Of course none of the holes line up properly, so I gotta do a lot of drilling, but it ain't no biggie.

I'm putting the T-2 rear rail on as well, and two of the bolt holes even lined up! The problem I ran into there is, it mounts a little too high, and slightly blocks the miter slot so the sled won't move past the edge of the table. I'm gonna get around that by drilling the holes larger, or slotting them a little vertically, so the rail will sit just below the miter slot.

The rear of the fence was sitting too high off the table, in my clamp-ups, so I took off the rear UHMW pad, threw away the clip that is designed to hold the rear of the fence down, and it was still a little tall. I took the UHMW block over to the sander, and removed about 1/16" of it's thickness, and I think that's gonna work fine.

I don't think I'll miss the rear hook, as it really doesn't do anything anyway, unless you're using downforce featherboards, and If that's the case, I could always clamp the rear of the fence down.

All in all....I think it's gonna work fine, without any major changes, other than drilling a few holes. I like the T-2 fence, (Had it on my old Delta contractors saw), much better than the lighter Ridgid fence. It just feels better, and a bonus is that I won't have to rebuild a few fence straddling jigs I already have.

Comment

I have not figured out how to get pictures on postings. But, I did get them into an album on my profile if you want to check them out. It looks like I need to do a bit of housekeeping in the shop!

Comment

a friend just installed the delta unifence on his 4511 with no troubles other than the front rail inteferes with the niter guage slot just a little.
                          it can be filed down a bit with no trouble he said.

I have a mill in my garage so I will use the mill to make the clearance needed (so it looks factory) and offered to do the same on his

bob

Comment

Working...
                          X