Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Makin' progress on R4511 assembly, but a question...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makin' progress on R4511 assembly, but a question...

I'm making a little progress on assembly thanks entirely to those of you on this forum. THD should send you guys a commission. It would be all but impossible for a guy like me to put this thing together without your tips and help.

Anyway, I have the stand and Herc-U-Lift put toether, correctly I think, and I left the 2 carriage bolts at each corner only finger tight as suggested, waiting to be tightened when the main cabinet goes on.

But, after installing the plastic dust chute, the chute seems to square up the stand to the point where I would guess very much shifting of the legs would probably crack the chute.

Should I still wait on tightening the legs until I drop the cabinet on, or would you go ahead and tighten now?

Also, are the two rubber-looking strips on the top edges of the dust chute supposed to be left as they are to help seal the cabinet, or do I need to peel something off to get down to sticky?

Thanks!

Ed

Re: Makin' progress on R4511 assembly, but a question...

HI Ed. I tightened my lower frame bolts before setting the saw cabinet in place and everything worked OK.

And, I did not peel anything off the rubber before installing the dust collector.. never thought of it actually, but in retrospect, the surface was shiny so might have a cover on it. I "think" I read here about someone sealing things up with silicone after assembly. Do a search for 4511, LOTS of posts on this saw.
    Brian

Comment

postjob62..just curious, there are four legs and the h-lift has one cariage bolt that attaches it to the corner bracket on each leg. yet you state " i left the 2 carriage bolts at each corner just finger tight....". i've seen HD asociates try to assemble a 4511 and they had the h-lift installed upside down with the lift tubes bolted to the tops of the corner brackets rather than under them. hate to see someone have a 500lb saw accidently land on their foot.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
        postjob62..just curious, there are four legs and the h-lift has one cariage bolt that attaches it to the corner bracket on each leg. yet you state " i left the 2 carriage bolts at each corner just finger tight....". i've seen HD asociates try to assemble a 4511 and they had the h-lift installed upside down with the lift tubes bolted to the tops of the corner brackets rather than under them. hate to see someone have a 500lb saw accidently land on their foot.
        Finer,

I may have misspoken a bit. I was referring to the two carriage bolts at each corner that hold the side braces to the legs. I read in one of the assembly tips on this forum that it was a good idea to leave them loose until you put the saw on the base. I think the lift tubes are properly assembled and correctly bolted to the legs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong-I'm somewhat unsure.

Comment

I installed the base while my saw was laying on it's back (on wooden blocks), then tightened the bolts before lifting it upright. I tightened the screws for the dust chute at the same time. I reduced the loads on the base when lifting the saw back up by using blocks to raise it a good part of the way up before letting the load shift to the base.

If I were going to assemble by putting the saw on the base instead, I'd leave the carriage bolts just loose enough to allow the alignment, but still kind of snug. I agree with your concern about the dust chute and would leave it floating, and attach it after the carriage bolts are tightened.

I just left the foam on the chute alone.

Comment

I did not peel anything off of the sponge sealer. Mine did not actually make contact so I need to seal with silicone.

Comment

Well just a quick update on how I'm coming along, mostly just in case anyone reads this later and might benefit somehow.

I got the main cabinet up on the base last night with the help of my son and got the cab and stand bolted together this morning. Seems like it would have been mentioned in the instructions but I had to tilt the motor up to about 30 degrees to get to all the bolts. I wound up leaving the carriage bolts on the legs loose until I dropped the cabinet on the stand and that seems to have been the right thing to do. It lined up without a hitch. Before all this I loosened up one corner per one of your excellent tips and went ahead and installed the dust chute first. I did wind up leaving the dust chute screws loose until mating the cab and stand as well. Everything is now tightened up and all seems well-the Herc-U-Lift seems to work really well, although it disengages (comes down off the wheels) rather abruptly.

A couple of things worth noting: I really had to scratch my head a while with the U-bolt. The instructions say to run it all the way in, and I did so with the result of course that it missed the catch by a substantial amount. In the instructions defense, they do later say to adjust the U-bolt out to catch but it's a few paragraphs ahead and I hadn't read that far at the time.

Secondly, I think a couple of you fellows have noted that it's good to only tighten the nylock nuts that mount the lift to the stand to the point where the bolt threads just begin to show past the nuts-in other words, leave 'em loose in the legs and let 'em flop. Excellent advice-i think this is the key to the lift working right.

A final note on the lift-mine didn't seem to do much until it had some significant weight on it. So if you've assembled it and think it may not be working right, put about 100 lbs. on it (I used the still boxed up granite extension wings) and then try it. That did the trick for mine.

On to more adventures in assembly next week, and thanks again to all for the continuing advice and support.

Ed

Comment

Working...
              X