prehung door jamb rot/repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prehung door jamb rot/repairs

I'm a novice but capable of repairing anything. I need to replace the bottoms of 2 of my exterior door jambs. How do I remove the rotted part at the bottom without destroying the whole jamb??? I just need a little education on the way these are built. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks, Chris

Re: prehung door jamb rot/repairs

By bottoms, are you referring to the sills? If so, saw out a chunk in the middle. The sills are fitted to the jams and nails driven into the sills from the jambs. With a piece removed from the middle each remaining piece can be "Pulled" toward the center and removed. Be careful when starting to pull the remaining pieces--sometime a nail is driven from the bottom of the sill into the brickmold (exterior casing).

Comment

Thanks for the info. however my issue is with the jambs where they come in contact with the metal sill. The wood is rotted from the sill,up about 4 inches or so. I have tried to use wood putty and Bondo but it seems to always shrink. I don't want to replace the whole jamb if it can be avoided. The trim around the opening is in perfect shape, the damaged wood looks like a 1"x2", I don't know if the whole strip has to be replaced or can I cut out the bad stuff and sister in a new piece???

I would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

Thanks Again,

Chris

Comment

use this multi function tool (Harbor Freights $40) to cut out the old, you may need to use a chisel to finish. Replace with hi-density plastic brick molding available at local hardware store, Lowes, Menards, etc. You can use a little caulking to conceal the joint. Works great and it won't rot again.

Comment

I am attaching a sketch of a cross section. If your jamb is only rotten on the"1x2 part" you can cut that out and replace it. If it is rotten all across the bottom, you should replace the whole jamb.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Igg's Dad View Post
            Thanks for the info. however my issue is with the jambs where they come in contact with the metal sill. The wood is rotted from the sill,up about 4 inches or so. I have tried to use wood putty and Bondo but it seems to always shrink. I don't want to replace the whole jamb if it can be avoided. The trim around the opening is in perfect shape, the damaged wood looks like a 1"x2", I don't know if the whole strip has to be replaced or can I cut out the bad stuff and sister in a new piece???
            Don't use Bondo, it's a plastic product that doesn't expand and contract, that's why it doesn't work as a wood patch, it's made for use on metal. There are wood-specific epoxy patches available that you can use that are made to expand and contract. While I couldn't give specific brand recommendations, I found links for ZAR products and this one here that might give you some tips.

Comment

Working...
            X