X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety - Safety - Safety

We all know how important it is to think safety and always use the safety and protective equipment put on our woodworking tools by the manufacturer. I tell this story of my own stupidity and carelessness just to keep everyone thinking safety. Since I am disabled my woodworking is all I do every day albeit only a little at the time as my body can stand. Just yesterday, I was cutting pieces for a purple martin birdhouse all day....I truly must have made over 300 cuts. About 730 in the evening I was nearing the end for the day....I had one more piece to cut...a 2"x2" piece of 1/4" plywood...I picked up a piece that was about 3"x2" and figured I could cut off easy enough....lifted the guard so I could see what I was doing...and bingo, it bit me...I spent several hours in the er last night getting a ton of stitches and xrays on my middle finger...luckily for me I did not cut off the end of my finger completely but the blade did take a chunk out of the finger and the bone...so now I have bandages and a splint that is making woodworking difficult...every cut I made yesterday I kept the guard down and used a push stick...the one time I didnt it hurt....at the er they kept saying it was an accident...this was no accident...it was an event precipitated by my own carelessness, hurry upness, and foolishness...please everyone - think safety all the time...I know I am not the only one who thinks he is smarter than the saw or that it wont happen to me....but if you dont use all the safety features on your equipment and constantly stay focused on safety and your work...believe me, it could happen to you....take care all...and happy and safe sawing...Murray
    Goldenwing

Murray---hope you heal up fast---just stay away from cutting tools with that splint on. Just hope you can get back to the shop soon.

As you found out---it only takes one time. Even for you, who has been using a guard faithfully, it only takes a single mistake. Those who refuse to use a guard, sometimes learn the same lesson. The problem, in their case, is that each time they get away with a dangerous situation, it re-inforces a dangerous habit.

From reading posts, like yours, it seems we get into trouble with cutting small or thin pieces. If you think of it--cutting a 2x2" piece, with a 10" blade (even if lowered properly) is a bit like going hunting with a semi-automatic---it will get the job done, but it won't be pretty

I've often wondered why there aren't more mini-saws on the market---it's certainly what I'd want for building models/minitures, etc.
    Dave

Comment

Goldenwing, sorry to hear of an accident, glad it wasn't worse.

I've used a Hegner "mini-saw", it's a four inch if memory serves. I'm not certain it is any safer than a big saw, you touch the blade it still wins. Crazy thing costs as much or more than a standard contractor's saw. The benefit of the Hegner is a very small kerf.

My daughter and I are gearing up to make some miniature furniture, 1/12th scale. I'm going to build a jig for cutting on the tablesaw safely. Dave, you interested in being an (unpaid) safety consultant on the project? Figuring when it's done, I'll do a web page on it.

Dave

Comment

You know guys I even have a Ridgid scroll saw which most times I use for the smaller stuff...but I had to cut so many pieces for braces I figured what the heck....easier on the table saw once its set up....but you are absolutely right...a jig would be the perfect setup...My son and I had just discussed that on sunday because I mostly build birdhouses and doll furniture....but a good lesson learned the hard way....I will be more careful and not only measure twice before cutting but I will think twice before cutting....if we can all work together to make it a safer experience thats great for future wood workers...thanks again guys...Murray
        Goldenwing

Comment

Glad things were not to bad. Back at it soon, eeh!

I wish they wouls market Sawstop on these Ridgid saws. Would save alot of fingers and hands.

www.sawstop.com

God Bless you all.

God Bless America on this day of days - and give her the strength to crush her enemies!

Amen

Comment

Murray...
            thanks for the reminder, and best of luck to you for a speedy recovery.
            Thanks,<br />Schmian

Comment

Murray -- Hope you heal up quick so the purple martins won't be homeless this fall. Thanks for the reminder. Hurry-upness and tiredness are a scary combination.
              Tony<br /><a href=\"http://www.mindling.com/passages\" target=\"_blank\">www.mindling.com/passages</a>

Comment

Working...
              X