Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Shims - How many?

Hey guys,

When installing the extension wing support rails, I found that one of the steel channels that are epoxied and bolted to the granite center portion had a bolt that wasn't screwed in all the way, and this caused my to not be able to fully insert the extension wing support rail.

If it had been the bolt further back, I could have just tilted the trunion to the 45 degree position and finished screwing the bolt in, but it was outermost bolt and required me to take the center portion of the table off. I looked and saw the shims and made a mental not to lift the granite center portion off as vertically as possible to leave the shims on the top of the cabinet.

Well, when I lifted the table I heard a faint metallic "clang" on my garage floor. I set the center table section on some carpets and then went to look for my shim. Well, I only found one on the floor. I had cleaned a several foot radius around my saw, so I looked in my immediate area, inside the cabinet, in the dust chute, all over the motor and trunion, and everywhere around the saw, and I can only find the one shim. This is in addition to the other shim that did stay up on the cabinet portion of the saw.

So, in total, I have two shims. I could swear that when I looked between the top and the cabinet before I pulled it off that there were four shims; one for each bolt attaching the the top to the cabinet.

For those of you who have taken the main portion of the granite top off, do you recall how many shims you had?

If nothing I was going to cut some new ones out of a Mt. Dew can or something. I'm not sure if the shims were even necessary, but I figure that they were put there for a reason. The two shims that I still have are the same thickness, so I'm assuming that all four (if I ever actually had four) were the same thickness.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Re: R4511 Shims - How many?

Ben - I'm not 100% positive, but I think the number of shims, if any, varies with each saw depending on any variation of the top and cabinet.

Comment

Re: R4511 Shims - How many?

Hewood is correct. The shims are used to true up the table to the arbour. There is a post here: http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...highlight=4511 that describes the process and reasons for doing this in great detail.

Brian
      Brian

Comment

Working...
      X