X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watco finish

I have made a jbox out of Black Walnut. To finish I did 3 coats of Watco (natural), wetsanding in the first 2 coats with a 320 grit and the last coat with a 400 grit. The finish is nice and beautifully rich. My question(s) are -
    1) Will this finish dry out and need recoating down the road ? How long might that be ?

1a) Does Watco provide a hard finish under the surface of the wood ?

2) If I give this box away, the new owner might just use Pledge on it. Will that ruin the finish ?

3) Would several coats of a satin wipe-on poly negate the richness that the piece now has ?

thanks all

(all answers assume Watco Danish Oil product. They make other products...)

1) Will this finish dry out and need recoating down the road ? How long might that be ?

"Dry out" is a misnomer, spread by companies selling products marketed as "feeding" the finish. A finish that looks "dried out" is one of two things: (1) worn off, (2) scratched. Wax or furniture polish will temporarily help number 2.

1a) Does Watco provide a hard finish under the surface of the wood ?

No.

2) If I give this box away, the new owner might just use Pledge on it. Will that ruin the finish ?

No. It will make refinishing darned tough, but it won't harm what is there.

3) Would several coats of a satin wipe-on poly negate the richness that the piece now has ?

I have found that different people have different values for the word "rich". It's impossible to say. It will certainly change the appearance somewhat. At the very least, I recommend using gloss for your "build" coats, and only enough satin to get the sheen you wish. Satin is less clear than gloss, is the reason. If you have a scrap piece left over, testing is absolutely the best idea.

Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. Yes, I did mean Watco Danish Oil. was hoping to be done with this soon, but I think I will try out a test piece first. I hate having a nice piece go from WOOHOO! to BOOHOO! because of impatience. thanks again

Comment

Working...
      X