New miter saws on parade at HD's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New miter saws on parade at HD's

Right next to their clones the Ryobis....exact same saw in many ways with just a few differences like the size of the dust bag tube and the laser.

$199 for the 10" and $299 for the 12".

Yep, the color is the exact same as the display metal behind it...HD orange. Even uglier than I thought it would be.

The table, fence, motor, handles, etc...all identical to the Ryobis....yep they sat them side by side.

I saw the post about the prices...remember guys, the other outlets will ALL be higher than HD's. I dooubt they'd try and sucker us into bigger prices for the new stuff. Tools outlets that are higher in price than HD's are the norm.

Since the posts about teh warranty issues don't seem to be getting any better, this forum may start to become a very ugly place to be...better get the ducks rowed up boys....
    Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

my local HD does not have the new saws yet. out of curiosity, what is the price difference (if any) between the ridgid and ryobi at your local store?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Not sure, I never checked the prices of the Ryobis.
      Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

"The table, fence, motor, handles, etc...all identical to the Ryobis....yep they sat them side by side."

They are not the same, they don't even look the same. About the only thing that is alike about them is that they are made of plastic and metal. The knobs, table, fence, motors blade guards, handles, colors and such are all different.

Comment

I was just looking at them (Ridgid and Ryobi) side by side. Seems to me they were about $80 apart.

I noticed that the motor housing was different on the Ridgid, dunno about the motor itself, but the vents were different. Also, the new one has a thumb release for the trigger lock right on the handle. The Ryobi pivot (not sure what you call it, but the big metal piece on which the saw pivots up and down) was a very textured casting, where the Ridgid seemed more like a heavy smooth die-cast, or something. Certainly more finished-looking.

Oddly enough, I was looking at the big coiled spring that returns the saw to "up" and on the way out noticed that it appears identical to the one on the Dewalt... wonder if they are using the same source (and of course it may dimensionally different, but sure looked the same).

Store said the rest of the tools appear (in Oceanside, anyway) on the 11th.

Comment

After talking with the TTI/Ryobi/Ridgid rep, he said that on certain new model tools Ridgid is going after dewalt customers. Their pricing will be set at the same pricing as Dewalt but til the end of the year EVERY tool they sell will carry a lifetime guarantee, Every cordless tool same thing, even the batteries!!!!! at least thats what he said. And that color on the drill in the pic in this thread.... nothing like the actual color. It is more of a caramel color with a slight orange tint.

Happy woodworking guys

[ 09-07-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: hammerman ]

Comment

I must agree with mr man and Mark IV. The Ridgid and Ryobi saws I looked at (both new models within the past week) are quite different. The only common part I could see was the laser disk itself. KellyC, what models were you looking at??

And yes, the Ridgid saws appear squarely aimed at DeWalt. Based on fit, finish, and feel (and assuming the Ridgid saws cut wood, which I'm sure they will), it's going to be a direct hit.

Comment

Originally posted by mr man:

They are not the same, they don't even look the same. About the only thing that is alike about them is that they are made of plastic and metal. The knobs, table, fence, motors blade guards, handles, colors and such are all different.
                You obviously didn't see them side by side (the first clue) The fence is identical, the table is identical...of course the colors are different.

Yep the knobs are not carbon copied and the blade guards are different...just like the grilles and taillights of a Chevy Nova and Pontiac Ventura weren't identical, but anyone could tell they were both made by the same company....well I guess not anyone huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kent:
                  I must agree with mr man and Mark IV. The Ridgid and Ryobi saws I looked at (both new models within the past week) are quite different. The only common part I could see was the laser disk itself. KellyC, what models were you looking at??

And yes, the Ridgid saws appear squarely aimed at DeWalt. Based on fit, finish, and feel (and assuming the Ridgid saws cut wood, which I'm sure they will), it's going to be a direct hit.
                  I was looking at both Ryobi's and Ridgid's new 10 & 12" CMS's side by side on a display. No they were not perfect clones or identical. When I said clone, I meant that with a grain of salt...they are obviously made by the same people and are extremely similar. For anyone to say they are not means to me that they haven't the eye for details.

Even the dust bag is facing the same way and although the tube feeding it is bigger the design is an obvious direct copy. The fences were identical on both. I suggest that you look closer at the two.

Comment

The saws come from the same source, and it is not surprising that some parts... particularly cost-intensive ones... are the same. Doesn't mean that all components are built to the same spec.

Time will tell.

But I did observe that "the table, fence, motor, handles, etc." were not "..all identical to the Ryobis...", since at least the motor housing and handles were visually different, as were the other items I mentioned. I don't know what lays beneath. I just reported what I saw.

It will be up to Ridgid to justify the cost difference. I wouldn't necessarily assume that the justification's not there. Rolling out this much new product is a much more massive undertaking than most folks realize.

Ridgid has taken some pains to defend and promote the new line (which wouldn't make much sense if they had just sold the name to orange ryobi clones) and because they are Ridgid, I will weigh their words more seriously than if they were, say, [well-known cheapie brand deleted].

Give the tools a chance, and if they're just orange Ryobis then the truth will be out in no time.

Comment

I've just spent 10-15 minutes looking at the new 10" and 12" Ridgid CMS's and the DeWalt and Ryobi that were sitting alongside.

I couldn't see one casting, molding, machining or fabrication that was the same between Ridgid and Ryobi. Indeed the shape of the fence was drastically dissimilar to the Ryobi. They're both made in Taiwan and that's about it. The new orange is less strong than that used on the CMS that it's replacing (one on display also), and therefore on these tools, less in yer face!

Ryobi 12" CMS $229, Ridgid 12" CMS $299. Ridgid 10" CMS $199.

David

Comment

Same here,
                        I spent 1/2 hour looking at them last weekend. Although they were not side by side, The Laser was the only thing I could find in common. In fact, I think the color isn't bad either. Kind of muted down a bit from what was presented on the web site.
                        Can't wait for some reviews of these tools, I think they will do very well(IMHO).
                        Rob Johnson
                        Orange,CA.

[ 09-09-2003, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Backyard Woodworker ]
                        Just tilt your head a little and it will look straight!

Comment

Here we go again......More RIDGID bashing. Who's really telling like it is ?????

Comment

I saw the new CMS at Home Depot the other day. I didn't notice any resemblence between the Rigid and Ryobi.

Also, last night I had the Grizzley catalog and Harbour Freight ad side by side. Next time your looking at them, take a close look. I think the lathe, benchtop sander, bandsaw, jointer, planer, and maybe the tablesaw look the same between both companies. Grizzley might use bearings instead of bushings, etc, but other wise they look the same. This could be the case with Ridgid and Ryobi as well. Just a thought. I personally can't wait to try out the new tools.

Comment

So you guys see no similarities huh? Amazing...denial is a terrible thing I guess. I sure wouldn't want any of you guys building anything for me with eyes like you're looking through (or is it glasses)?

Comment

Working...
                              X