X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw Cabinet

Does anyone have plans/pictures of a good cabinet system for a compound miter saw? I have a 12" saw and would like a cabinet design that minimizes on space but uses extension tables (piano hindged or something like that) that assist on cross-cuts of boards as long as 6' to 8'. Of course, the extensions don't have to be that long. I can use roller stands and such, but something that would extend a foot or so on both sides of a cabinet that is slightly wider than the saw would be nice.

Can't tell you the exact mag, but within the last 12-14 months----I've seen at least two designs similar to what you're describing----rolling cabinet, with fold-down wings. Check Am. WW'r, Wood, Pop. WW'ing or Woodsmith web sites----it was one of them that had such a design. Good luck.
    Dave

Comment

I'm in the same boat as Dave, I know I just saw a magazine article about the MS station, I know the current issue of WOOD has one but it is a wall mounted set up. You give a look at Norms "Chop Saw Station" plan #9809 it has some interesting ideas for the extension tables and the whole thing sets on saw horses. Oh also is your saw a slider or just the standard CMS. I ask because I'm also looking for miter saw plans but mine have to accomadate the 12" sliding model.

Comment

Originally posted by JJC:
        I'm in the same boat as Dave, I know I just saw a magazine article about the MS station, I know the current issue of WOOD has one but it is a wall mounted set up. You give a look at Norms "Chop Saw Station" plan #9809 it has some interesting ideas for the extension tables and the whole thing sets on saw horses. Oh also is your saw a slider or just the standard CMS. I ask because I'm also looking for miter saw plans but mine have to accomadate the 12" sliding model.
        I know there is such a plan in the Canadian Home Workshop mag. I can check tonight and let you know which issueit's in. I believe it has a DeWalt sliding mitre in it. I'll get back to you.
        Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

Thanks,
          I've got several mags from the past 3 or so years. I'll see if I can round them up and look through them. By the way, my saw is a 12" DeWalt compound miter, not the sliding miter saw, although I could probably adapt plans for the sliding miter. I am getting way to little use out of my miter saw because it takes so much time to set up everything, but I also have limited space and can't afford the space necessary to cross-cut anything longer than 3'to 4' feet without some setup.

Comment

Check out Norm abrams website for

newyankee.com
            I think that's it or do a yahoo search for new yankee workshop.

He has a great design on miter saw stand. I rodered but have not built yet. I'm waiting to built it til I get my router and or dado set. It looks very nice, is portable and has adjustable stops & fold out fence to double length. It's made of MDF plywood and beech.

Jake

Comment

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Comment

I found what looks like a good basic plan close to what I would like to build in either the 2002-2003 or 2001-2002 special issue Fine Woodworking mag., I think it's called Tools and Shops. It's by one of FW's associate editors who has a small shop and the article focuses on maximizing space.

Comment

Just finished the miter saw stand you are looking for, well the drawers are not done yet. Popular Woodworking the August 200 issue has the plans for the one I built. Wood, December 1999 has plans similar. I'll post a picture of the one I'm finishing later this week.

Comment

oops August 2000 issue not 200, don't know about you but I wasn't here then. Besides they used axes to miter everything.

Comment

Originally posted by pwsdave:
                      oops August 2000 issue not 200, don't know about you but I wasn't here then. Besides they used axes to miter everything.
                      YES BUT WE HAD A LIFETIME WARRANTY BACK THEN THAT WORKED... I still have have mine and have only had to replace the blade and handle a couple of times...

Comment

Working...
                      X