X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circular Saw: Blade to Shoe Alignment

I don't have a good way to support cutting long or big sheets of stock on my Ridgid TS3660 table saw, so thought about using an edge guide with the Ridgid 6-1/2" Fuego framing saw (R3203). It does not look like the R32023 has a way to adjust the alignment of the shoe to the blade. Could not find any reference to adjusting it in the owner's manual (Ridgid on-line).

I saw a video on Taunton.com, where a DeWalt saw did have this adjustment. Is having this adjustment a big deal? Are these saws generally aligned well enough where this is not an issue, or...?

- Phil

Re: Circular Saw: Blade to Shoe Alignment

Phil,

I can't answer for your specific saw, but I do have an Ridgid 18-volt cordless and a rather old Craftsman corded circular saw. I've used them numberous times to cut sheet goods, without much of a problem.

However, I don't like using the "edge-guide" that comes with the saw. For me, you still have to pay very close attention to that front edge and be awful careful that you don't stray off the line.

With my Ridgid Cordless, I simply measure from the edge of the plate, to the inside edge of the blade (on this saw, the blade is on the left side of the motor). That distance is something like 4-1/4 inches (if memory serves me). I then clamp a "factory edge" board in position, exactly that distance from where I want to cut.

Then moving the saw, using that "edge" as a guide (runner) that I place that outer edge of the base against. The cut always comes out perfect and the cut is much faster than trying to make it by following that front edge along a chalk mark or pencil line.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Phil,

The only saw I am aware of that has an adjustable shoe/blade mechanism is the DeWalt DW364. This feature was one of the main reasons that I purchased this saw as I use it only for cutting larger plywood panels to finished size (I do not like wrestling large sheets around and across the table saw).

I am not saying that this is necessary for you. If you purchase any new saw and it is properly aligned out of the box, barring dropping it, the alignment should stay constant. I just didn't want to maybe have to return a saw or two until getting one properly aligned.

Comment

My first Bosch worm drive was 1/32" out from front of blade to back (measuring parallel with the shoe).

Second saw was 1/64" out, probably as good as I would find right out of the box.

Since everything on this saw (and presumably yours) is riveted in, your two choices are to take out the rivets, convert to bolts and loosen/tighten to adjust, or take a persuader (aka mallet) and "persuade" the shoe to be in parallel with the blade.

Have you measured to see how far out it is?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have not purchased the saw yet, but was considering buying a saw that had such an adjustment. An ancient Sears Craftsman saw I have is way out of whack, but somehow, seems to cut OK. Maybe not that critical?

- Phil

Comment

Working...
          X