X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven miter slots on R4511

I've just joined the forum but have been following it since purchasing my R4511 last month (appreciate all of the advice with assembly and setup). Last week, I noticed that the miter slots are not even in width. The right slot is narrower than the left. The difference is small (~1/32 inch), but it is enough to keep the miter guage from fitting in the right slot without heavy pressure (and I'm trying to avoid pressure with the granite). Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any ideas for how to fix it? Everything else with the saw (assembly, installation of extensions and rails, alignement of table and blade) has been fine.

Re: Uneven miter slots on R4511

Yes I had the same issue with the right slot as well, to the point where the gauge would only go in a few inches. The only option I found was to use a grinder on it. It took an hour or so to get it right. Hope that helps.

Comment

The left slot on my saw is very slightly tighter in the center, not enough to block the miter gauge but enough to slow it down when I push it.
      The miter gauge is adjustable.
      Bert

Comment

Same here. On mine it is the left miter slot that is to narrow. The miter gauge only goes in half way.

Comment

You might try a sanding block that's a little < 3/4", wrap it with some medium grit sandpaper, and go at it gently until if frees up a little....I've done that with cast iron on another saw.

Comment

I have used paste wax on tight glides before. I use a cross cut sled instead of a miter gauge, so you can custom fit each rail to the slot.

It's good to know that I may need to look out for this when I size my new sled runners.

Comment

Originally posted by MK2 View Post
              I have used paste wax on tight glides before. I use a cross cut sled instead of a miter gauge, so you can custom fit each rail to the slot.

It's good to know that I may need to look out for this when I size my new sled runners.

I do both as well, but it is still tight.
              I also have used a non-greasy+ non-silicon lubricant, it helps but is does not totally eliminate the problem.

Bert

Comment

The right slot is much looser than the left slot on my saw.

Comment

If your miter gauge slots are different sizes, why are you resisting making a crosscut sled. It works sooo much better and is so much safer then a miter gauge.

Plane your runners to custom fit each slot. Make them extra long, trim up after mounted to sheet goods.
                  Rip off a strip < depth of miter gauge slots on saw. (Save stock for future runners)
                  Mount them on a 27" x 30"w x 3/16 sheet goods,parallel and snug but smooth. Trim runners.
                  Square up a fence to the blade. (obviously the MOST important).
                  Mount a 2x4 on the back end of the sled that bridges the runners.
                  Wax the runners, bottom of the sled, and miter slots on saw.
                  Identify where the blade comes through the fence for safety.
                  Have a beer.

Perfect 90` every time! It's way safer pushing on a fence mounted in 2 miter slots then on a miter gauge mounted in 1. I use a modified poly speed square to cut 45`and clamp a stop block set-up to the cross cut fence to make duplicate lengths. Equally effective with a dado (but you loose your zero clearance).

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. Although I am planning to build a crosscut sled in the future, I would still like to have standard functioning miter slots. I never know when I might want to use a purchased accessory with a miter bar. I tried paste wax before I made my first post. Although it made the granite slick, it did nothing for the miter slots (still too tight). I don't have a handheld grinder, so I decided to go with the sandpaper. I used 100 grit wrapped around a piece of 1/4 inch MDF. After a while, I was able to get the miter gauge to fit. Now I have a very smooth left miter slot and an almost-as-smooth right slot. I did notice that the width of the slot was not uniform. There were some spots that were tighter than others and they required more attention with sandpaper. Also, it seems that the rear of the miter gauge bar is a little thicker than the rest, but I haven't tried to sand it yet.

By the way, I have wanted to try some of the dry spray lubricant for the tabletop. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brand to use?

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Johnson's paste wax. That's all I have used since high school and can not imagine needing anything more, different or better.

Comment

Working...
                      X