Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

    Good Afternoon-

    I was at Sears the other day, and their 22116 looks just like the R4511, except it comes with a solid guide tube and much better Biesemeyer clone fence. The spacing of the bolt holes on the brackets look the same as the R4511, so I'm thinking about just picking up the Craftsman fence/rail system. Does anyone know for sure if the bolt holes for the front the rail and guide tube are consistent with those on the R4511?
    Also, what function does the rear rail perform? If I could avoid upgrading that and saving some bucks, I'd like to. I can't see that it does much of anything. Does it need to be there at all?
    Anyone have any other thoughs I should consider before making this upgrade? I've also considered the Shop Fox classic, biese, T2, and others, but I think for just a little more money and half as much aggravation, I'll go the Craftsman route.
    Thanks!

  • #2
    Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

    Originally posted by jason mowery View Post
    Good Afternoon-

    I was at Sears the other day, and their 22116 looks just like the R4511, except it comes with a solid guide tube and much better Biesemeyer clone fence. The spacing of the bolt holes on the brackets look the same as the R4511, so I'm thinking about just picking up the Craftsman fence/rail system. Does anyone know for sure if the bolt holes for the front the rail and guide tube are consistent with those on the R4511?
    Also, what function does the rear rail perform? If I could avoid upgrading that and saving some bucks, I'd like to. I can't see that it does much of anything. Does it need to be there at all?
    Anyone have any other thoughs I should consider before making this upgrade? I've also considered the Shop Fox classic, biese, T2, and others, but I think for just a little more money and half as much aggravation, I'll go the Craftsman route.
    Thanks!
    When I looked at this saw in Sears, the granite table and wings looked exactly like my 4511. My guess is that the holes line up too but I never took direct measurements. Maybe you can measure the hole spacing on the stock 4511 rails and then measure the same on the Sears.

    As far as the back rail, on the stock setup its just there to keep the fence from flipping off. The fence itself actually "floats" over the back rail. BUT, I dont know if the same goes for the Sears Bies clone setup.

    Its a good upgrade idea though....wish the Sears saw had come out before I built my own rails for the stock fence....I woulda thought about doing the same thing you are thinking.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

      I don't know if the holes line up, but both are made by Steel City. Measure the distance of the holes starting from the left for both if you can, or ask someone for the same measurements on the R4511.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

        Good idea. It would be nice to get a one piece front rail.

        Please post the model number for Sears 22116. I need it to look up the front rail price.

        Thanks,

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

          Originally posted by mitchmcgee View Post
          Good idea. It would be nice to get a one piece front rail.

          Please post the model number for Sears 22116. I need it to look up the front rail price.

          Thanks,

          One can buy a solid 2.00"x2.00"x10' 3/16 wall tubing for about $40.00.
          Much cheaper than to buy a new fence, no?
          Bert

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

            Model number is 351.221160 for the granite-topped Sears saw. If you go to sears.com and then parts, enter that model number, and all the pricing and parts breakdowns are there.
            Yeah, it would be cheaper just to buy another guide tube from a steel supplier, but my fence is REALLY not straight (a joined board on my unifence on an old craftsman saw shows perfectly straight, on the Ridgid fence, the edge only lays flat on the last 5 inches or so of the outfeed end of that fence). Plus I like the idea of a hassle free upgrade. I'm knee-deep in hassles right now and don't want to volunteer for another.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

              Well, this is your money, the fence alone is $236.49 + tax + shipping.
              The rail is another $75.00+ tax + shipping
              This is more than I paid for my whole saw!
              I guess I am lucky, I find nothing wrong with the fence I have.
              May be you should try to get a new fence from Ridgid under warranty.
              Bert

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

                Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                Well, this is your money, the fence alone is $236.49 + tax + shipping.
                The rail is another $75.00+ tax + shipping
                This is more than I paid for my whole saw!
                I guess I am lucky, I find nothing wrong with the fence I have.
                May be you should try to get a new fence from Ridgid under warranty.
                Bert

                +1...even if you upgrade the fence down the road, definitely get one from Ridgid that's not defective....Ridgid will make it right. It's worth some money if you sell it...you paid for a good fence.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

                  " Plus I like the idea of a hassle free upgrade."
                  Taking pieces from two different manufacturers (even if you believe that they have the same origin) and trying to make it work, guarantees that it will not be hassle free.
                  It will require work.
                  I really recommend that you get another fence from Rigid and try this way first.
                  If you really insist on replacing the fence altogether then buy a better fence, like one from Grizzly. at the end it will be less money and less headache.
                  There already is a thread about replacement fences on this forum.
                  Bert

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Craftsman 22116 fence and rails for R4511

                    Another possibility is to add faces to the fence and shim them where they need to be shimmed so the fence face becomes perfectly flat.

                    Id talk to Ridgid about a replacement fence too, even if you buy an aftermarket its nice to have stock parts that are correct (if ever sell the saw, want to sell the stock fence, etc)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X