Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm starting to understand the cheap price on the R4511...

First off I'll admit that if (and right now it's a big IF) I ever get this thing up and running it will have been a heckuva deal. But with the lousy instructions, tremendous weight to deal with, and the other Q.C. issues like the fence problems, chips and repairs from the factory in the granite (got those too), miter slots and so on that one has to deal with, $299.00 is about what I think it's worth given the time necessary in most cases to straighten it all out.

The latest thing is that I just went to install the front fence holder and guess what? The pre-drilled countersunk holes don't match up with the inserts in the edge of the granite! I guess I could get a larger drill bit and hog them out but I imagine there'd be problems with squaring it up, and besides, it would look bad.

The real issue is, you can't go back to Home Depot and get them to rob one since there are none left. I'm assuming Ridgid will make good on it but there's another week or more waiting.

Anyway, like I said, I'll be happy if and when it's running, but boy, what a hassle in the meantime!

I have to say thanks again for all the help on this forum-again, Ridgid ought to send you guys a commission...

Re: I'm starting to understand the cheap price on the R4511...

I suspect a falling level of QC from the manufacturer is one reason the saw was discontinued. The early production runs didn't have anywhere near the problems it seems the most recent batches have.

Comment

Either quality control was laid off or you just got a lemon. Mine went together without any problem using the help guide here on the site. Sorry to hear about your issues.

Red
      Red

Comment

Sorry you're having problems.

Mine went together smoothly as well.....after reading the real assembly instructions here. As you already found out, the manuals suck.

I had two problems with mine. I cracked one of the wings around the center stud. Probably my fault for over tightening, but the book said, "tighten securely". HD is gonna replace the wing at no charge. I take partial blame, but had the design been a little thicker there, it wouldn't have cracked.

The other issue I had was a shake, rattle, and roll on shut down. I replaced the el-cheapo OE belt with a Gates brand and the vibration went away completely.

I wasn't happy with the fence, just felt kinda light duty, and non of my fence straddling jigs I had already built would fit it, so I retrofitted my Delta T-2, but that's not the saws fault.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied so far.

Comment

Mine went together flawlessly. The only issue I had with it was the crap factory belt causing vibration, which I just ditched.

Now.. The fence with the split rail is crap.. But I'll be trading up on a Shop Fox Classic later on, once I feel that I'd been totally disgusted with it.. Still working on that as it does fine with most things I do currently.

Wish I'd have gotten it at such a deep discount as you did, though.. I just got it during the tool sale for $450.. And I still love it regardless of that price.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf View Post
            Mine went together flawlessly.

Wish I'd have gotten it at such a deep discount as you did, though.. I just got it during the tool sale for $450.. And I still love it regardless of that price.
            I hope my assembly and set up is flawless as well but I'm prepared for abit of frustration too. Looking at the big picture tho, it's all worth it...value proposition of this saw is undeniable.

Comment

You won't have any problems, if you've read the post here about assembly. It's really pretty straight forward, except for the Herculift. I had to stare at the pictures a while before that one clicked in. I couldn't wrap my head around leaving certin bolts loose, but because I had read about it here, I did and it works fine.

The only place I remember the manual being dead wrong, is when it says install the dust tray after the Herculift. That ain't gonna work. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by NoTalentRookie View Post
                You won't have any problems, if you've read the post here about assembly. It's really pretty straight forward, except for the Herculift. I had to stare at the pictures a while before that one clicked in. I couldn't wrap my head around leaving certin bolts loose, but because I had read about it here, I did and it works fine.

The only place I remember the manual being dead wrong, is when it says install the dust tray after the Herculift. That ain't gonna work. ;-)
                Two of the best tips I've found here (and sorry for not giving specific credit but can't remember exactly who said what-but you know who you are and thanks again!) were:

1. The dust chute can be installed after the Herc-u-lift and to me it made installing the lift a lot easier. You just have to take loose the two carriage bolts temporarily on one corner of the legs, then put them right back, and

2. Leaving the nylock nuts that hold the lift assembly to the legs just barely engaged on the bolts. Leaving something that loose is counter-intuitive to me but when I did it my lift immediately started working like a champ!

I'm not giving up on this saw by a long shot; I just think it requires an unusual amount of effort to get it right. But when you're done, you should have a lifetime tool at a great price.

AND, from the mouth of Ridgid themselves, if you sign up for the Lifetime warranty and they can't fix it or supply a part, then you get a brand new comparable saw. Can't beat that!

Comment

I am delighted with the saw.
                  The only issue I have with it is the left miter slot a little tight in the center.
                  Some day I shall take the time to sand it lightly so that it is free.
                  Bert

Comment

I haven't had the problems that you've had. I'm quite happy to have gotten mine for $299, but I think it's worth much more than that.

The assembly instructions are pretty weak, but I didn't find that it slowed me down all that much, and now that it's together, that doesn't matter any more.

Comment

Originally posted by NoTalentRookie View Post
                      It is also wrong about adjusting the riving knife/guard. It is not the four screws but the two bolts that holds the entire fixture.

Comment

Thanks for the correction. I didn't have to adjust mine, so I missed that part.

Comment

Working...
                        X