X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Alignment

Last weekend, I became the proud owner of second hand TS3650. I chose this model after researching saws on many sites. I've spent most of my spare time since cleaning it up and learning / inspecting the saw. I'm an old ShopSmith guy (still use it) but always wanted the bigger table for the saw.

When I took a dial indicator and measured the alignment of the blade to the miter slot, I was disappointed to see that there was a .015 disparity between the gap from the same tooth from front to back on the blade and the slot. I figure I'm going to have to tweak the trunnion to get it back to an acceptable figure.

My question is about the affects of having the dial caliber readings differ when the belt is on and when it is off. With the belt off, the differential is approx. .008, which I think is borderline OK. With the belt on, and a load on the pulley, the differential is .015 which is too far out. Do I have a loose trunnion, or has anyone else seen this? I had planned on doing the alignment with the belt off (easy access), but now fear I have to do it with a load on the pulley since this is real life condition. Any ideas?

OBTW- I found this site today and joined right away. Nice forum.

Re: TS 3650 Alignment

When I aligned my saw I left the belt on and didn't really have any access problems. Following the directions outlined in the Owners Manual, I was able to get the blade aligned to the miter slots fairly easily and quickly. What proved the hardest part for me to get correctly aligned was the blade guard/splitter. It took quite a bit of time and effort to get that thing just right.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have done mine with the belt off and with the belt on. Come to think of it, when I was doing an "annual tune-up" about 2 years after I got it, I did find it was out slightly, and that time I did it with the belt on. You may also be getting play from loose trunnion bolts, or perhaps the bevel lock is not tight, would could allow a little twist.
      I would start with the belt off if you are doing any major movement, or loosening all 6 bolts at once. Then do the final tweaking with the belt on.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thank you both for the input. I went at it last night and found that all six trunnion bolts were on hand tight. I guess this was the reason for the differential w/ belt on and belt off. The trunnion now has .001" runout and the blade to miter slot is now at < .002. All is good.

Senior Chief

Comment

Don't ya just love a happy ending?
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good on Ya!!

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
            X