Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TS 3650 Fence: How smooth should it slide?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Fence: How smooth should it slide?

Thanks to Finer9998 I have new rails installed on the 3650 I got for a bargain price at HD a few weeks back...Finer had the rails since HD did not.

Anyhow, it is all together and when I move the fence it seems sluggish and sticky. The micro-adjuster does not seem to work to well either.

It seems like it is too tight on the rails, however I have loosened the adjustment nut a bit, and the rear of the fence just touches the rear rail when dropping it on.

I would think that the fence would glide smoothly.

I did search the forum and did not see anything on this, so I figure I am not doing something correct...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: TS 3650 Fence: How smooth should it slide?

Mine (albeit a 3660) does glide like glass. If you drop the blade and remove the splitter, with the fence on the left, if you give it a fair push, it will slide 18-24 inches along the rail before the friction stops it.

Are the pads on the bottom of the fence clean? Is there any divergence between the front and rear rails? They must be exactly parallel and straight.

Comment

Try waxing the rails and the underside of the fence.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

It sounds like you replaced the original 3650 rails with after market rails, namely Finer. I am not familiar with them. I would look at the angles, curves, etc of the new rails, and compare them to the old. If there is a difference, it could account for the sliding difficulty. Second, check the parallel of the two rails. Measure a number of places along the length. If they are not exact, it will cause binding.
        "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

When I first assembled my 3650 the rails had a kind of sticky residue on them that made the fence feel like it was binding up. I cleaned them with mineral spirits and waxed them and it has been glass smooth ever since. You may have to shim the rails to keep them parallel. If you feel it binding in one particular place along the rail and there are no rough spots on the rail this is probably the problem. As I remember it the fence should be clear of the table by several sheets of paper. If it isn't there is an easy fix in the Operators Manual.

When you get the problem fixed I bet you'll find that this is the absolute best fence you ever laid hands on.

Blind Bill

Comment

Sorry, I should have clarified...Finer9998 (from this board) had a set of rails (box 2) for the TS 3650 so I bought them from him. HD only had box 1, but for $137.00 I could not pass it up, so I have the Rigid rails.

It sounds like (and I somewhat suspected, but wanted to check) that I need to play with them a bit. I am probably just out of parallel someplace.

Time to fiddle in the garage.

Comment

Don't discount the waxing them. Many new TS3650 buyers posted that the fence would squeal when moved. The solution was invariably wax. I think it was something applied to the fence or rails during the manufacturing process, but it caused a lot of friction. Also check the two teflon (nylon?) pads on the bottom of the fence "T" to make sure they are secure and not causing the binding.

JMTCW

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I cleaned the front rail with mineral spirits and that did make a difference, but there is a still a squeal. Checked install / alignment and everything looks ok. I have been eyeing those two teflon pads as they seem to be the source of the friction, but they also seem to be integral to the operation of the fence.

Wax is the next step.

I figured with the saw being 5 or so years old there should be lots of experience with this in the "cloud" so thanks for the feedback. It is always helpful to know you have done things right, even if there are issues...thinking of the Hercu-lift install for example...it is not immediately intuitive to leave all those loose bolts!

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                  Don't discount the waxing them. Many new TS3650 buyers posted that the fence would squeal when moved. The solution was invariably wax.
                  Waxing made a huge difference in my case when I bought and assembled my 3660.

Comment

I've read at least 4 suggestions for wax......ummmm....

Comment

Mine originally had a binding and squeal like pigs at the fair. I cleaned them up and applied paste wax (Johnson's, no other will do!). I've had to re-apply the wax a couple times, but I've had the saw for a number of years now. The fence slides as smooth as you could want. IMO that fence is the #1 reason to have the saw. It's accurate, smooth, and locks down tight. And the little piece of plastic that's used to lock it down has never cracked or broken. So to those that scoffed at the fence, I say NEENER!
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                      X