X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thickness Planer recommendation

Looking at buying a thickness planer but have not done any research. I was looking at the Ridgid. What opinions exist on the Ridgid? I see HD has the Dewalt 735 on clearance for $279 vs. $649 list!

Re: Thickness Planer recommendation

Originally posted by nordichomey View Post
    Looking at buying a thickness planer but have not done any research. I was looking at the Ridgid. What opinions exist on the Ridgid? I see HD has the Dewalt 735 on clearance for $279 vs. $649 list!
    If you can get that Dewalt, do it!

Comment

If you can pick up a DeWalt 735 for under $400, jump all over it.!! It is a 4 poster, meaning it is stable, and also has a blower motor to eject the chips. One of the best rated TPs out there. Not knocking the Ridgid at full price, but that is a steal.

Go
      Last edited by Gofor; 01-29-2010, 08:01 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I agree, if you can find one of those closeout DeWalt's grab it up.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

for what it's worth i posted on another thread how i called the store and bought it with my credit card to make sure it was there when i showed up... good thing.. was the only one left when i got there. just got it an hour or so ago.

Comment

Congratulations you made a wise choice. I also have the DeWalt and it's excellent!
            Be sure to buy the outboard tables [optional] they will reduce snipe significantly.

Also get spare blades as you'll need to replace them at 9p.m. on a Friday night..you'll thank me later.

The unit is heavy so watch yourself when moving it. I have mine mounted on a table with casters

Cactus Man
            Last edited by cactusman; 01-31-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

+1 to what Cactus said.

Big G

Comment

good advice... i know it wasn't lite when lifting it into the truck... something with castors sounds good.

Comment

I have the Dewalt 734. It's been a great planer, no complaints. I have it mounted on the Ridgid MSUV (older model). I had to modify the MSUV to mount the planer, but it really is handy to move it around and even to get it in and out of the truck.
                  I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                    I have the Dewalt 734. It's been a great planer, no complaints. I have it mounted on the Ridgid MSUV (older model). I had to modify the MSUV to mount the planer, but it really is handy to move it around and even to get it in and out of the truck.
                    That is a good idea for an MSUV, I have an extra one and think I will try mounting the DW735 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
                      I have mine mounted on a table with caters
                      I read this as "I have mine mounted on a cable with taters".

Man, I need more coffee.

I mounted my Ridgid planer on one of these from Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=384394

It was such a good unit, I bought another for a mortiser.

Good deal on the DeWalt... it's the one I would've preferred but at the time, it was ~$300 more than the Ridgid.

Comment

This month's Wood magazine (with pine cabinet on the cover) has a review of planers.

The DW735 and Makita 2012 come out tops, with the RIDGID R4330 "Top Value".

They were, however, comparing the DW at $600, not the crazy price it seems to be clearancing out of HD at. None in my area though

I have the RIDGID, I was amazed at how well it does the job. I can see how the slower speed of the DW might be even better though.

Mind you, it just wouldn't look right in my shop, everything else is orange

Comment

Anyone know where you can pick up the DW 735 on sale. I've checked all over South Florida and no one has it?

Comment

Finding a DW735 at HD is going to be few annd far between. They were clearencing them out in many geographic areas back in October. Not saying that there are not some available, just not going to be that plentiful. Here in Central Texas they were all gone in October.
                            Last edited by tomapple; 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Found one here in St louis yesterday. Had an inch of dust on it and wasn't even in the computer, but they sold it for $279...I'm still smilin'. I had my old planer (and now the new one) on this... I bought it when it was $69

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90428

Comment

Working...
                              X