Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650: Base wobble ELIMINATED!

All--

I spent a little time this weekend to eliminate the wobble once and for all. I created the braces that should have been there in the first place out of quarer-inch hardboard, making an effort to follow the lines of the front and rear braces for aesthetics. I tried the washer fix suggested my another forum member, without success. This, however, eliminated 99% of the twist in the base and is a marked improvement. Now, if I could match that dark grey paint....

C

Nice work. It is also nice to see someone that doesn't have their head in the sand and try to deny there is a problem to begin with.

Thank you for that!
    Rev Ed

Comment

Nice job Hot! The next time you're at HD, grab one of the orange aprons in the Paint Dept. and march him/her down to the tools. Point out the 3650 to them and tell them to match that shade of grey.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks, RevEd. You know, I love the saw and everything else Ridgid that I have owned/used, but it does no good to deny the problem is there.

BadgerDave- I thought about that, but wonder if it's worth the expense/trouble to have a batch of paint created for such a small detail. Of course, if everyone wants to purchase a set of these panels from me, for the cost of time/materials only-- that would make sense! [img]smile.gif[/img] If there's demand, I might even talk to a freind who works as a CNC machinest. Until then, I wonder if anyone makes an off-the shelf spray color that's close?

[ 08-08-2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

Really nice design Hot, you will have to keep your eye on new deliveries at HD to make sure the engineers don’t try to capitalize on your idea. I was wondering what persuaded you to add the ProMax versus a stand-alone table when it appears by the pictures that you have an enviable amount to real estate in your shop. And one more question, did you clean up your equipment for the pictures or do you always maintain it in that spotless of condition?

Good job

Woodslayer

Comment

You might be able to match the orange easier. LMAO. Nice job on the braces.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks, Woodslayer. Well, there weren't any cars in the garage at the time the pics were taken. We have a 3 car garage, and I have only one "pad" available for all my stuff when the cars are in. That amounts to about an 11 X 12 or so area. I have to pull the cars out and move the tools around to be able to work, and with such little space and so much rolling around, the ProMax seemed like the right decision. I also wanted to have a table that I wouldn't need to "baby" and worry about it sagging over time.

My tools are always that clean. I do a full clean after every session, if it's possible. Again, since I'm sharing the space with the cars, it kind of has to be clean. plus, I'll admit it, I'm pretty anal about my things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Papadan-- The orange wouldn't balance as well though [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 08-08-2005, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
                Nice job Hot! The next time you're at HD, grab one of the orange aprons in the Paint Dept. and march him/her down to the tools. Point out the 3650 to them and tell them to match that shade of grey.
                Ditto that! Nice job,and definitely get some grey paint on there and it'll look like stock.

Comment

did you just take out the original and trace it onto the hardboard?

any special things to consider when making this? I'm going to copy your design today. My saw is 50/50 on the nickle test so i'm trying to make it more solid.

Comment

Nice job!
                    Did your machinist friend make that router table for you? I've never seen one like that before.
                    Did you put it right into the cast iron extension wing?

Comment

shew, see the thread. By the way, welcome to the group. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thomas--

Yes, I did trace around the front brace to get the proper shape. You'll notice, however, that the front brace is much narrower than the side ones, so you'll need to continue the arc, and fill in the gap that occurs in the center. I just created one panel and filed/sanded it until the shape was how I wanted it, then used a flush trim bit in my router table to duplicate the shape for each side panel. I have the original template piece, should I ever damage one and need to quickly make another.

Good luck!

C

Comment

well i didn't put much thought into it so mine aren't perfect, but i did pretty much the same thing. Only i didn't even think to use my router to cut it out i just used my bandsaw. the cut was kinda off the line a bit here and there, but who cares. From five feet away it's perfect.

I'm glad i saw this, otherwise i don't think i would have ever done this. Now the stand is very sturdy

Comment

Hey, Thomas, gald it worked out! One more thhing I did was to get some longer bolts down at the HD and put some fender washers between the hardboard and the nut so you can really crank it down.

C

[ 08-11-2005, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: HotDiggity ]

Comment

In your picture of your Ts you show a router table. Where did you get it and your Miter Gage

Comment

Working...
                              X