No announcement yet.

Drawer corner joints

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drawer corner joints

OK, everyone, I've got a question. I'm looking to build a vanity for my bathroom, and I wanted a good joint to use for the front corners of the drawers I was planning on building. I don't have one of those expensive dovetailing jigs, and I'd like something a little stronger than a rabbet with glue and nails.

What joints do you guys (& gals - if we have any female woodworkers here) use to build yours?
    This is the sort of pedantic nonsense up with which I shall not put.<br /> -- Sir Winston Churchill

You could use a drawer lock joint that you cut with a router bit. You can also make a similar joint using a tablesaw and a dado set, but I don't have a good link for how to do that. Woodsmith uses the table saw method for making those pretty often, so you could probably find it in several of the back issues.

This site shows how to do the lock joint that Stuart suggested.

Bob R

I would encourage you to attempt to cut your dovetails by hand. Take your time, make sure your marking is accurate, find some good library books/websites with good details on cutting them, and give it a try!

Of course, I am quite the traditionalist, but hey. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Also, I'd recommend this book. It might give you some hints about this sort of thing. It was a great resource for me.

Good luck and God bless.

I agree, dovetailing by hand isn't as hard as it is time consuming, does take a bit of practice though. I'd recommend practicing on some scrap to get the hang of it. Marking is critical, I use a knife rather than a pencil, as is learning to not take off too much wood, it's a lot easier to trim to fit than starting over or shimming. Depending on your drawer style, you may need a false front to cover the exposed dovetails, some traditional styles leave them exposed.