X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darn tight set screw in R4511

I'm trying to adjust the pulley on the motor of my R4511. It's out by about a 1/4 inch. However, the set screw is in extremely tight.

I've dumped some penetrating oil on it and will leave that a day or two. However, if that doesn't do it, can I throw some heat at the pulley? (ie: propane torch) I'm worried about heat conducting down the shaft and into the motor. Is there a chance of damage?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Darn tight set screw in R4511

Mine is not that far out of line. But when I tried to loosen it with a 2.5 mm alan wrench (not included), I ended up with 2 full twists on the short end of the alan wrench!

I put on a new poly belt and it runs smooth now, but shutters a ton at shut down.

Comment

Mine was also 1/4 off.
      I broke two wrenches on mine even after putting heat with torch on it!
      If they are loctited in the heat should free them, but this time it did not work.
      I ended up tapping mine in line with an hammer and a brass punch.
      Bert

Comment

same problem here
        I have twisted or broken 3 allen handles/driver trying to loosen that setscrew. took it in for service and they couldne loosten it either.
        they told be that it will be fine.
        I still think it need to be adjusted a bit.
        I called the customer support and and discussing options on how to take care of it. they have said to take it to another service center but I told them that 50 miles away.
        I have asked them to send me another pully and setscrew and I will drill the one I have to get it off

bob

Comment

To follow up on my original post, for the benefit of the last poster:

I ended up putting a propane torch on it and it finally came loose. Actually, it came loose so easily that the set screw backed right out at the first try of turning and the pulley dropped right off the motor shaft and down into the dust collection bin at the bottom of the R4511. Now I have a tiny little knick in the edge of the pulley from where it bounced off a metal edge in the bottom of the saw cabinet -- so get ready to catch the pulley if you go this way.

Chris

Comment

thanks for the tip
            I suspect then that they were using a bit of thread locker if that little heat did it

bob

Comment

Working...
            X