X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside Table?

What would the Wood Experts recommend if one wanted to make a table that is one solid sheet on top that will sit outside year 'round.

What I mean is that I know it could be made of teak, IPE, even Trex boards.

But what about 1 piece solid sheeting for the top?

Looks mean very little over function.

Thanks for any input.

J.C.

Re: Outside Table?

Fibreglas!

Comment

Make a top using 2 x whatever width you choose boards edge glued and pocket screwed together. Some thickness planing and edge trimming will be necessary if you want a truly one piece look. To help protect it from the weather, paint it instead of staining.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

What's that plywood that they use for road signs? That would probably work well but in a table where this or any wood will lay flat there is the potential to collect water on the surface. And maybe ice and snow too depending on your local.

Does it need to be a full solid top or would a picnic table style with spaced boards work?

You could also use a double layer of 3/4 exterior plywood to create a 1-1/2" thick top and cover that with sheet metal and wrap around the edges to protect the end grain of the plys from water.

What is the intended use, then we can give you a better suggestion on material.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'm toying with the idea of making my Pops a grill cart/table. He has a new Weber charcoal grill that I want to build around.

It's just a freestanding grill. I was thinking of two levels. Top one is the table and the legs rest on the bottom one. Hole cut in the top and the grill countersunk a little. Crazy, huh?

Concerns are:

Some heat or flame.
          Outdoor durability.

I'm also considering a concrete top.

Thanks for the ideas.

J.C.

Comment

That's not a crazy idea at all. Actually, I've seen quite a few people around these parts that have done exactly that with their Weber's. Most of the ones I've seen have been made of construction grade lumber so after a few years they don't look the best best they still function. Most of the ones I've seen rest the kettle on the top surface of the cart on the carry handles so as little of the hot kettle comes in contact with the wood as possible.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
              What's that plywood that they use for road signs? ....
              It is called MDO (Medium Density Overlay), or HDO (High Density Overlay). It is also good for making concrete forms.

IF you set the Weber in the hole, you may want to insulate it with rock wool, etc.

Go
              Last edited by Gofor; 02-01-2010, 08:59 PM.
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                It is called MDO (Medium Density Overlay), or HDO (High Density Overlay).
                It's good stuff and any plywood wholesaler will have it.

Red
                Red

Comment

It is called MDO (Medium Density Overlay), or HDO (High Density Overlay).
                  Thanks Gofor, I couldn't remember the name the other day.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

hello build one last year out of cedar decking boads cut them square and edge glued them up i also used biscuts, planed down the whole surface by hand (little bit of work )but well worth it finished good marine varnish. made it a tresel style long and pretty wide fits lots of people comfortly.hope this helps....

Comment

JC, I don't think there is a single-piece wood material you can use that will hold up in the weather without requiring a lot of maintenance. It's a losing battle, no matter what finish you apply.

Your concrete idea is a good one. But concrete absorbs grease and stains, so you will have to use a good concrete sealer every year to keep it looking good. Go thick on the concrete and put some wire mesh in there.

Check ebay or local restaurant supply for used stainless tables that you can cut up and make your project out of - if you have any metalworking tools. A good table will be 303, 304 or 316 stainless and hold up well in the weather.

You might also think about going to the local granite slab fabricators and seeing about getting some granite remnants. You can very often get odd size remnants for cheap, and in the long run it may work out to be the least expensive way to go. Select a dark color - these often are less absorbent and thus less likely to need sealing. Also, I would stay away from the wild swirling patterns if you can, as the more plain/fine grain material is stronger if this thing is going to be moved around. Ypou can actually cut granite with a segmented diamond wheel on your angle grinder without too much pain.

Another idea would be to face your surface in slate or other stone or porcelain tiles. You can us thinset to tile directly to the concrete, but you should wait 4 weeks for the concrete to cure fully. If you build the base in exterior grade plywood instead of plywood, you can coat it with a liquid product called Redguard (Custom Building Products) on all sides. You need to get a very thick dry film for this to be truly waterproof, but it will work. Then go ahead and use thinset (not mastic - will turn to mush in a wet environment!) to set the stone tiles.

Good luck!

-Andy
                      Last edited by Andy_M; 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

The only 1 piece material would be marine plywood or maybe MDO which is use for signs.

Pressure treated plywood is no good because it warps and is not safe for food.

I'd use cellular PVC lumber

Comment

The wire mesh does wonders for the Concrete slabs if thats the route that you are looking to go. Wire Cloth can be found at a number of different places by me, in the past i have ordered from :
                          http://www.bwire.com/
                          Good service and prices.

I would suggest concrete over any type of plywood especially if you are concerned with the looks of this table, the wood always gets to be a little bit "worn-looking"

Good luck

Comment

What about Hardi-Backer (Cement Board)? I am told it might be available in green.

Comment

How about just building a sideboard for him. I built this one this summer out of pallet lumber. I picked up the commercial bar sink/faucet for $5 and when done purchased a piece of 2'x4' stainless from a sheet metal company. The only thing I would do different would be to roll the stainless over the edge of the 3/4" CDX. I got the plans here. http://search.store.yahoo.net/woodst...ench&x=19&y=15

Hope this helps. It works great for me.
                              Attached Files
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X