X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dado blade on an angle

I'm interested in making a couple of game piece holders. I've got a set up injected plastic holders for domino pieces and I'd like to make some out of some old oak. The plastic holders have straight channels for the pieces and I'm considering cutting the slots at an angle. I've got a Ridgid Table saw (thus how I ended up here with my question) and a 6" stack dado head. I also own a nice router table, but haven't come up with a method of router cutting the slots. Can you make a recommendation regarding cutting parallel angled slots using a dado blade? I'm not sure how I'd cut a zero clearance insert for such a task, but I am a BIG fan of ZCI's.

Re: dado blade on an angle

If I'm understanding you correctly and depending on the width and length of the board you plan on using, I would think that using your miter gauge, set at the proper angle, would work in this case. Using the miter gauge when crosscutting the slots would be my method of choice. To avoid tearout you should also consider using a backer board or sacrificial fence and a ZCI would also be a good idea.
    Last edited by BadgerDave; 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I am not sure what the OP is wanting to do...when I first read the post, my understanding was that he needed to cut a slot...but, the bottom of the slot is not parallel to the top face of the part. EG. needed to lay the dado blade over from 90 degrees.

Was thinking of something holding the players group of dominoes at a slight angle. Kind of like a scrabble tile holder?

But, I may not be understanding the idea...

Comment

Tom, you're spot on, Dave however is not...

Comment

I think if the dado does not hit any thing one should be able to do it with a dado head,

but one can do it with the single blade as well, set the angle and height and then then make the first cut, readjust the blade height and fence make the second cut removing the wood that would have come out with the dado head, or would be considered wast,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You can cut an angled dado as you described.

To make the ZCI, set the angle on your blade first, run it all the way down, install blank insert, and then turn it on and bring it up through the blank just like you would a regular ZCI. I have a couple angled dado ZCIs, one at 7 degrees I use for making tapered trash cans, and one at 12 degrees I used for making a baby cradle. Just be aware you have to remove the insert before changing the bevel angle on the blade.

To make the parallel cuts, just move the fence over. Remember to add the width of the dado to your spacing requirement. DAMHIKT. Best to test your depth and spacing set ups on a piece of scrap first.

If you are working with old oak, I would encourage making the ZCI to prevent tear out. It has a tendency to splinter, otherwise.

Go
            Last edited by Gofor; 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM.
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Instead of angling the dado blades leave them on a 90*. Build a sled with an angled table for the block to lay in. Draw a profile of the desing you are wanting and remove most of the waste first and then finish up with the dado blades.

This will be much safer also.

G3

Comment

I imagined him trying to make this shape with a dado blade.
                Attached Files

Comment

If that is what you are trying to cut out just make two cuts with the blade angled and let the kerf from the first cut be met with the second cut and the waste will fall out.

G3

Comment

There is nothing unsafe about angling a dado blade. My take was he was running 2+ parallel angles slots in a flat piece so it would hold more than one row of dominoes, and they would be slanted, making them easier to see.

Go

Comment

Good tips from most of yall. I considered the sled idea prior to posting, but I own a 6" dado stack and therefore my depth of cut is limited, particularly if my sled began climbing away from the table top.

Using the dado on an angle (not sure what angle I want/need, will do some test cuts in scrap), if it were determined safe by others with more experience than I, seemed to be the most efficient approach.

Thanks for the tips on the zci, I may have considered doing it that way without help, but not real sure...I see a hole much larger than zc, but then again, ya gotta have an insert, no way around that!

The easle block idea is a shade to small, the game we play requires 15 tiles!

Comment

If you set the blade angle before cutting up through the insert, it will be a true ZCI. The blade will raise following the plane of the blade, not straight up. As I mentioned before, you have to remove the insert before changing the bevel angle on the blade. On mine, I have to lower the blade before removing the insert.

Go

Comment

Working...
                        X