Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wide table on 3612/2424

Well I guess this is in two parts:

For you guys that are doing the wide table mods on your 2424's and 3612's, as in adding an extra webbed cast wing, and slipping the rails to the right, I have a couple questions:

1) What do you have supporting the extra weight? The web wings weighs what, 20#, cantilevered out there on the end of the original wing. Seems like it'd be a recipe for sag, over time.

2) Anyone tried/figured out a way to join sections of fence to give a full rail all the way from the left side of the original wing to wherever you stop on the right. Seems like it'd be doable, but maybe a little tricky. Maybe a machined steel piece to fit in one end of one rail piece and in the end of the other, and join them together as close to seamlessly as possible.

Now for the other part, for Jake, the resident Ridgid company guy:

Given all the interest (at least here lately) in mod'ing the 2424 and 3612 for extended rip capacity, what's the likelihood of Ridgid creating some sort of factory 'wide table kit' w/ long rails and perhaps some legs to support the extension. (/me dons asbestos under-roos) I hate to use it as an example, only because of the hate and discontend that usually ensues, but something like the kit Ryobi offers for the BT3k series is kind of what I had in mind.

For the record, in case anyone cares, I don't have either a Ryobi or a Ridgid saw, so I have no horse in that race. I'm currently 'tool-sitting' a late-model Craftsman that is pretty close (appearance-wise) to a 2424 (Sears model 228410). I am looking at getting a saw of my own eventually, and the Ridgid 3612 is a primary candidate thus far. Some nifty factory add-on accessories would be the icing on the cake.

TIA,

monte

Monte,

I've been working on designing a dual fence rail system for my saw, and considered exactly what you suggested to join them. In addition, a slip on auxilary fence with dust control for the router table wing. The fence that came with the lift is reallky limited in movement, and I hate that. It's like driving a top fuel dragster for a block.

All in due time, I'll post photo's when it's all said and done.

As far as weight, I try and keep the additions light as possable, then support the ends with legs. I haven't moved my saw in months, and doubt I will. But in the event that it has to be moved; I remove the lift plate and router and the saw's lift system works fine.

All I can say is your imagination and intuitiveness is your limit to alterations.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

milanuk,

I have legs supporting my extension on the right - there is a lot of weight out there. I emailed Jake about special ordering cut to length rails and he said that Ridgid gets them from their manufacturer already cut to length. Now if you could figure out who that manufacturer was...
      Woody is doing something that I thought about too - having 8' rip (split any way 3/5 or 2/6 or 4/4) but I don't have enough room.

[ 03-15-2003, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Patrick A ]
      Patrick

Comment

First, generally anytime you go more than 30" to the right, the mfg would like to see support legs. There are a number of places to buy them, or you could make your own.

Second, Since Rdigid doesn't make rails for a 52/12 setup, you would be better off buying an aftermarket sytem. For example, you could get a Biesemeyer 52/12 setup with a 34" fence (extra support after blade) for $269 from Amazon after $20 discount.

Now, I own the 3612 and bet I could get at least $100 for the fence and rails. That would mean a new rail system and fence for $170 that is superior to the Ridgid. (Large steel rails and larger steel fence.) It also wouldn't have any connections or seams in it fo anything to bind or come out of square.

As for extension tables, search the Bies and Jet websites. You can find general instructions on how to make your own for about 1/3 of what Jet or Bies would like to charge you.

Comment

Hmmm.... I'm betting Ridgid could get longer fence rails from their supplier if they asked nicely

So... it sounds as if the 3612 would accept most standard/generic contractor saw upgrades, such as fence, rail, extensions, etc? Nothing goofy about the dimensions, just have to drill some bolt holes?

TIA,

Monte

Comment

Yea, the Ridgid will accept aftermarket fences. the table is a standard 27" deep and the wings are 1 1/2" thick, which is what the aftermarkets need. I know that Bies makes a system to bolt into the orig holes, but it is rather expensive. It's much cheaper to get the universal white or the Delta gray 2 colors as they have all the bolt holes drilled. Also, I've been told that with some syetems you either need to fill the webbed wing on the right, or you need to eliminate it in favor of an extension table...Something that I've seen on models like Deltas and Jets.

I'd like to get a larger fence as I've already had the need for the extra cap. Too bad I want the EB-2 miter guage and the HF dust collector first.

Comment

This thread is quite interesting to me, and it seems like increasing the rip capacity is of interest to other Ridgid owners as well!

I'm also looking to expand my 3612 rip capacity (see my recent post on the subject). Looks like an after-market Biesmeyer would be nice, now that I know it's compatible. Also, I think I'll consider the Incra TSIII as well. It's also good to know that there is a market for 3612 fences -- especially if it's brand new!

One question comes to mind -- what about the Herc-U-Lift? Would this still work well with a 52" fence? Or would it become too awkward? Logic tells me it would be OK since the difference between a 36" rip capacity and 52" rip capacity is only 16" more in sheer material. The suport legs under the extension, I assume, would lift up with the rest of the machine. I've seen 52" Delta Unisaws with a mobile base, and the whole thing does lift up.

Comment

I'm waiting for Jake to chime in here, but I'm willing to bet as Jake spoke up late last year on the wing thread, it's shipping. That's why the wings are webbed, not solid. Weight.

As with the rails, it's a length thing with shipping I'm willing to bet. They have to match the box the saw comes in, or close to it to keep them on the same pallet. Just a guess, hope Jake can clarify.

As for the lift system on the saw, mine works fine with my rails slid full right and light weight home made extension. The rails supports the extension, the legs are to support the rails when I use it as more bench space.

John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by milanuk:
                  [QBNow for the other part, for Jake, the resident Ridgid company guy:

Given all the interest (at least here lately) in mod'ing the 2424 and 3612 for extended rip capacity, what's the likelihood of Ridgid creating some sort of factory 'wide table kit' w/ long rails and perhaps some legs to support the extension. (/me dons asbestos under-roos) I hate to use it as an example, only because of the hate and discontend that usually ensues, but something like the kit Ryobi offers for the BT3k series is kind of what I had in mind.[/QB]
                  Truthfully its something we've considered several times, but we have just not had the reasources to put to it. There are several aftermarket systems that will fit our saw and work well.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                  X