X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb router question

Can you perform any operation on a router table that could be performed with a hand held router from above the material? For instance, could you do a round over mold on a corner of a box on the table just by holding the box up to the piloted bit? And couldn't you do a dado just by turning your board over and running it over the router instead of vice-versa?

Reason for asking is that I'm only planning on getting one medium size router and making it do, but I've just been gifted with a table and a lift and I'd like to use it if possible. I know the table should do more than the handheld, but will it cover all the handheld's bases as well?

Re: Dumb router question

If your work piece fits on the router table, and you can maneuver it, then probably yes. But if your project is large, you probably want to use the hand held bases for accuracy and safety. Most router lifts allow easy removal of the motor for handheld use.

Ern

Comment

I agree with Erngum,

Like many tools, (circular saw vs table saw; bandsaw vs jig saw, etc) there's advantages to the router table and advantages to the hand-held router.

Basically it's a matter of size, when the stock it too big to take to the tool (table), then you take the tool (hand-held) to the stock; and, the reverse is also true... there are times when the stock is too small to be approached with a hand-held tool.

Example would be trimming laminate on a counter top... definitely a hand-held situation, as would be cutting a dado across a long board (as in making a bookcase).

On the other hand it's difficult and dangerous to try to put a roundover or decorative edge on a small box or trim piece with a handheld router. That's where the table is ideal.

Hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

If you have the table but have not yet picked out a router, consider a combo such as this one. The motor comes with a fixed base and a plunge base. mount one base under the table and the other one hand-held.

Comment

I bought this combo last year and I am delighted with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5615...5281473&sr=8-3

Bert

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
            If you have the table but have not yet picked out a router, consider a combo such as this one. The motor comes with a fixed base and a plunge base. mount one base under the table and the other one hand-held.
            I've always thought the Ridgid looked good on paper, especially for the money. I appreciate ya'll's suggestions, and b2rtch that Milwaukee looks good too.

I may be limited to what the lift will accommodate. It looks to be a combination of Rockler and JessEm, called a Rout-R-Lift FX; the instructions say it will work with a PC 690/890, a Bosch 1617/1618 or a Dewalt 610/616/618. Seems like I read somewhere that the Ridgid 2930 woud work anywhere the PC would work. Is that true?

Also, when you put it in the lift, don't you use the motor only? That would leave the base free for a quick swap-over if so.

Comment

With the Milwaukee I do not need a lift.
              The adjustment is right here in the front under my fingers.
              I use a re-cycled Skill ( made by Bosh) router table, the whole thing works very nice for me.
              Bert

Comment

Postjob62,

Yes, the Ridgid R2900 has many compatibilities with the Porter-Cable 690. Same mounting layout as the base, uses P-C style guide-bushings, and the P-C edge guide.

While I suspect that the motor diameter may be the same, I really do not know that for sure.

The 2900 does have an "above-the-table" height adjustment, using the supplied T-handle, but if you are using a lift, that shouldn't be necessary.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 02-04-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I don't know which Ridgid router I saw but at HD last Friday they had the Ridgid with both bases for 25% off which made it $150. Looked nice. The only thing I noticed about it was you have to take your hand off the handle to turn the router on & off.

Craig
                  Never outsmart your common sense

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                    I bought this combo last year and I am delighted with it:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5615...5281473&sr=8-3

Bert
                    I am delighted with my Milwaukee combo too. I love the "soft start", smooth and quiet operation.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-5616...5425431&sr=1-1

Comment

Working...
                    X