Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What are all the Machinery or tools needed for Modular Kitchen Manufacture ??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are all the Machinery or tools needed for Modular Kitchen Manufacture ??

Hello everyone,

I am a Interior Designer, i would like to start my own Modular Kitchen manufacturing company in a small scale production. You can assume that 10 Kitchens per month. As a starter, i would like to concentrate more on minimal design style using the finishes such as Laminate, Lacquer, Veneer etc. Mostly into Laminate we can assume. I am planning to use water and boil proof plywoods of 18mm thickness.

As a starter, what are all the basic tools or machines that is needed for this ?.., my worry is about the edge band. I am confused with what kind of Edge band would be nice, and what sort of machines or tools needed for Edge banding.

Hope few might advice me regarding this, as the discussion grow, i will share more of my ideas in a clear way.

Re: What are all the Machinery or tools needed for Modular Kitchen Manufacture ??

For edge banding, you can use strips of the top laminate, cut a little wide, and applied with a hand roller. Contact cement will work if the edge is not exposed to hot water or steam. If it is, a plastic-resin glue would work better and be more lasting. Trim with a small electric trim router (the Bosch Colt is one brand/model, but would have to be bought to match your voltage/hertz of electricity. Probably best procured from the European market unless you are running 110/120v at 60 hertz). They make router bits designed to give a clean edge to the banding.

If you use wood veneer, the edge of the glued strip can be trimmed with sharp hand tools, such as a sharp knife or bevel plane.

You did not give us a lot of information. Are you familiar with the basic cabinet making processes?

Last time I was in Muscat was in 1992. I forget what the voltage was there.

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 02-04-2010, 11:01 PM.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Re: What are all the Machinery or tools needed for Modular Kitchen Manufacture ??

Now that is a good reply, thank you so much GoFor.

Let me explain my idea a bit elaborately. I am working as a Designer / Project coordinator for Oman's one of the biggest company, my company is having the dealership with 2 brands, one is ARAN from Italy and the other is SieMatic from Germany. I am taking care of a project where we are supplying and installing 250 SieMatic kitchens. I have not made any cabinets myself, but had designed and supervised with the carpenters when i was working in a Architectural Firm. Let me make this short, my idea is to start a Modular Kitchen manufacturing company in a small scale, here in Muscat. The following are some pf the important points or factors that i have it in my mind.

COMPETITIVE FACTORS:

MATERIAL : The existing brands are making the cabinets out of MDF or Particle board, where i would like to make it with High quality Marine or WBP Plywood.

FITTING / ACCESSORIES : Would like to give the accessories and fitting from top suppliers such as BLUM

DESIGN : Having the confident that we will deliver the best design accordance to the taste of the locals.

MANUFACTURING : Initially thought of sub-contracting to the third party cabinet makers, for example making the cabinet at one place, assembling with another party and Installing with another party.

FUTURE : Once we get familiarized in the market, would like to launch a small workshop so that we ourselves can make the cabinet, assemble and install with our team.

The above mentioned are the rough plan i just mentioned regarding manufacturing.

I hope few might advice me further to get more idea or warning

Comment

@ Gofor

For edge banding, you can use strips of the top laminate, cut a little wide, and applied with a hand roller. Contact cement will work if the edge is not exposed to hot water or steam. If it is, a plastic-resin glue would work better and be more lasting.

Trim with a small electric trim router (the Bosch Colt is one brand/model, but would have to be bought to match your voltage/hertz of electricity. Probably best procured from the European market unless you are running 110/120v at 60 hertz). They make router bits designed to give a clean edge to the banding.

If you use wood veneer, the edge of the glued strip can be trimmed with sharp hand tools, such as a sharp knife or bevel plane.

You did not give us a lot of information. Are you familiar with the basic cabinet making processes?

This was the idea that stuck me initially, and still having this as an option, that is to give laminate Edge banding, but then the competitors are already using PVC and ABS edge banding. I personally also like the finish that is giving.

How to make this ?

Last time I was in Muscat was in 1992. I forget what the voltage was there.

The Volt here is 100 - 240V - 50 - 60Hz

Comment

there are edge banding machines that can apply edge banding,

if your going to be working with a product, I would contact the manufacture of that product and see what they recommend for the edge banding and if edge banding materials are avable for there materials,

edge banding machines come from machines that will work for the small hobby shop, to machines that are for 24/7 operations in factories,
          http://www.google.com/search?q=edge+...rchBox&ie=&oe=

many times the edge banding will have an heat based glue on it and is preaplyed to the banding, then you will have to trim it, (my guess some of the machines made for production have trimmers built in),

I would be contacting manufactures and seeing what "systems" and machinery they are supporting and recommencing for the use with there products,

at 10 kitchens a month you will want to set up stations, to make your cabinets, (in my thinking your past a small shop and stepping up in to a medium sized shop, and if your doing modular cabinetry, your really setting up a small factory,

I am going to make a suggestion, that you study the process carefully, before jumping in with both feet, as to compete with manufactured cabinets, and to "make FACTORY cabinets" is a hard challenge, as first you have a range of prices your competing with, from low to high, the higher is not as hard, but on the lower it is, if your customers know your quality that will help if there quality conscious, if there price conscious it is a hard go,
          you will have to work with a manufacture to get your materials at a price that will allow you to make a profit,

in most situations, when I have tried to compete with manufactured cabinets or furniture, the price of the raw materials on a project by project biases was more than what I could find the product sold for retail manufactured, there was a difference in quality,
          and quality and custom pieces was the only place I could compete with.

it is very hard to compete with a place that has machines that will do in seconds that it took a craftsman Min's or hours to do the same process by hand or small shop tools,

take drawer dovetailing, even with a good jig and a router set up just for that machine it will still take a person 15 to 20 Min's to cut the dove tails on a drawer, with a automatic dovetail machine,that can reduce that time to seconds pre drawer depending on the machine maybe 2 Min's or less, your trade money in investment of machinery for labor, and the trick is to make the machines pay, and cut the labor costs, and to buy the materials right,

Good luck on the shop,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

another thought, if your going to be out fitting a shop, to build cabinets, you may want to do some tours of various factories, and shops that are currently doing what your wanting to do, if you can target shops of the sales volume your wanting to achieve all the better,
            and take some mental notes of the equipment they have and use,

yes there will be some expense in the process of travel and such, but it may be some of the best money you will spend,
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

in looking at some of the links, I found this company,
              http://www.castleusa.com/
              and they have a small commercial machine (IMO) that would be similar to what you would be wanting (at least to start out with),
              here is a video of it in action and some comparisons with hand applying banding.
              http://www.castleusa.com/edgebanding.html#EQDEMO
              http://www.castleusa.com/PDFs/EQManual.pdf

other considerations would be panel saws, sliding table, table saws, and possibly some type of pocket screw machine, and shapers (not sure if modular cabinets would need that or not, and by modular I am thinking European type with out face frames?

but if you were doing 10 kitchens a month, say only 10 boxes a kitchen that is 100 boxes a month, that is three boxes a day, with what ever features they have, drawers or shelving or pull out shelves,
              I would want to set up stations to make most of each cut with out having to readjust the machines, or minimal readjust them, as a saw for ripping to length, have a cart to place the cut units on, and move to the next station, to then cut to length, then any other stations or cuts, (toe kicks), one saw a saw with two sliding blades on it you placed the panel on the table and the saw gang moved down and cut the toe kick in about 3 seconds, both sides, and kicked out the wast, shelving holes by a gang drill set, and if your using European hinges a unit set up to cut the entire cup and pilot holes in one set up,
              there are some smaller adapters to use on drill presses http://woodworker.com/sitenews/euroeze.html to complete stand alone machines
              http://www.usifaz.com/eurohinges1.html probably for your volume a stand a alone machine would IMO be best,

I would probably set up a drawer center, that was set up for the cutting and assembly of drawers, (you may be able to buy the drawers (sides and ends) pre made from a specialty company if you have the lead time, I can buy paneled doors for cabinets as cheap or actually cheaper than I can make them for the most part, unless one is working with rare or not normal woods.

take a look at the commercial tools that this company has the sliding table saws and so on,
              http://www.grizzly.com/inside_grizzly.aspx

much is in the jigs and stops one can set up to make it efficient as well,

if your new to cabinet building it could be wise to consult with some one who has some experience in the construction and building on a commercial basic to help you get started,

If I was going to out fit a shop to do your idea this is some of the type of equipment I would be looking into, http://high-tech.ie/blog/

one place to look is at auctions of other factories that are closing down or down sizing,
              (yes one may end up having to rebuild some of the used machinery, but the cost considerations may end up justifying the difference in costs).

all links are for information purposes and not an endorsement of a company or product,
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

BHD pretty well said it all. The only thing I could add is to check if there is a vocational school or technical college near you that could be of assistance to you. Lots of knowledge there if they offer cabinetmaking.

Comment

Thank you so much BHD..,

____

Right now, i am researching about edge banding material and machines in my area. I hope i will have to import both the things, i am planning to go with ABS edge banding. I will be starting my market survey pretty soon. Market survey has been divided into two forms, that is to find out whether what consumers really needed and why the existing manufacturers or distributors are struggling. Once done with the survey , i will be concentrating on the Design and Costing part. After that we will make a budget for kick start.

Comment

Good luck with your venture,
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      Good luck with your venture,

Thank you once again BHD, will update soon

Comment

well to start you need lots.......the first thing that gets over look is not the tools but the experience manpower

check out www.woodweb.com
                        ________
                        iolite vaporizer review
                        Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X