X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm STUCK on stupid again

I bought a 1 pint bottle of Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue. One problem, it runs. It runs faster than my wife at a 50% off shoe sale. I wipe it off with a rag. But when I stain the wood, I can see the discoloration. Should I use liquid nails? It is colorless and stays where you put it.
    If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

You will learn in time how much glue is enough. DO NOT USE LN for woodworking projects!

You need to clean up the glue prior to putting on your finish. You can either sand or used scrapers to do this. Another thing you can do is use painters tape near the joints. This will lessen the amount of glue that gets out of the joint. After you have sanded/scraped the area, wipe it down with mineral spirits. This will show any glue you missed.
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Spread it evenly with fingers or brush, clamp it up and leave alone for a couple of hours. You can remove the excess with a chisel or scraper, then sand the joint a bit so the stain won't be applied to the glue residue.

Comment

another common practice is to wipe it off with a damp rag (water) after you clamp it up also sounds like your using way to much

Comment

another common practice is to wipe it off with a damp rag (water) after you clamp it up also sounds like your using way to much

Comment

Be sure you do not clamp it so tight you squeeze all the glue out.

Comment

*HINT* Rubbing with a wet rag will only thin the glue, and push it deeper into the grain and pours. Instead, let it gell up so it's stiff and not runny. Then use a sharp putty knife and slice it off. After unclamping either run it through a planer or use a scraper to remove the surface wood where the glue had slight absorbtion.

There has been articles in a few magazines lately relating to this, and it's a practice I've done for 20 years. Trust me when I say it's the best way to go.

Also, use Tite Bond glue, it's a touch thicker than elmers so it doesn't run as much, or soak in as fast. Also seams to set up a touch faster.

Good Luck.
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Hi Woody,
                Are you saying that my hero, "his Normness", may be doing it wrong? "Say it aint so, Joe".
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Woody hit in the head again. Like your advise. I too have used your method for many years and find it overall the best. Most people that use wet rags to wipe it use to much water and weakend the joint.

Comment

My father's middle name and mine is Wood. My father's nickname is "Woody". It would be extremely difficult if not impossible for me to ignor the advice of someone named UO Woody. Thanks again guys. You may now return to your respective corners.
                    If a butterfly didn\'t have wings, they\'d call it a butterwalk.

Comment

Lorax,

It is OK to wipe on some woods as the pores are closed. on open grain woods like red oak, I would just wait till the glue dries. I would always scrape first before running through a planer or jointer though.

I use Titebond 1 and 2 (soon to be Titebond 3 in my shop as well) on my stuff and haven't had a problem so far. It does sound like there is being too much glue applied.

Comment

Working...
                      X