Ridgid arbor flange runout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid arbor flange runout

I have a Ridgid TS2424; there is no measurable shaft runout, but the flange that the blade rests against has 4-5 thousandths runout which results in ten thousandths runout at the edge of a new 10" blade. To fix it, I could buy a new arbor assembly at around $110, or remove the assembly and take it to a machine shop; but shouldn't it be possible to rest a file or stone against the flange (in the table) to clean it up? Shouldn't it just hit the high spots, and level it as would a machinist's lathe? One other thought is to put some sort of soft washer between the flange and the blade, so that it self-aligns against the outer washer instead of the inner flange. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Re: Ridgid arbor flange runout

The hard part would be holding what ever cutting tool steady enough to make the situation better. Is the flange and arbor one machined piece? If not you might try disassembling it to see if there is a chip or something stuck behind.

-Rob

Comment

I agree about the hard part. Yes, it is one piece, thanks.

Comment

How old is the saw?

Sounds to me like the bearings are worn. You do not get shaft run out because of the belt tension. If you take off the belt, you will probably be able to move the shaft that .005" up, down and sideways. Need new bearings if this is so. Before ordering them, I would remove the shaft to make sure it is not out of round also.
        Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

the 2424 is a gray model ridgid staionary power tool and i believe those tools carried a lifetime guaranty that was tool, and not owner, specific. I'd call ridgid CS and review the problem with them. when i contacted them about the measuring tape on my 2412 rails being inaccurate, they sent me the rails and fence for a 3612 which fit my saw perfectly. that would be my first call on monday morning. good luck.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I doubt if worn bearings would be covered under the old lifetime warranty which only covered manufacturing defects. However, if the OP took advantage of the opportunity to register his saw into the LLSA, when that was offered back in 2004/05(?), then bearing replacement would be covered.
            ================================================== ====
            ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Does the flange face have run out if you put a little pressure on the end of the arbor? If not, it is probably bearings. If it still has the same run out, it is a badly machined part.

(although you would have to really try to screw up a part up like that...with the threads etc. being concentric and the face of the flange being out....would have had to cut the face and the OD at two different setups for that to happen).

Comment

It seems that sometimes the simplest fix is the best. On re-checking, I found I'd not been quite touching the shaft when I thought it had no runout. Both shaft and flange have runout, which I re-measured at about .015 at the blade edge - quite visible when it is rotated slowly.

I tried shimming between the blade and the flange, and found that it took only a very very thin "shim" to be effective; after a lot of trial and error, I ended up with two thicknesses of tissue paper to bring the runout down to .003" which is satisfactory to me.
                Jon

Comment

Working...
                X