R4511 Wobbly arbor pulley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Wobbly arbor pulley

Today I installed the leg stand and herc-u-lift on my new saw, and when I went to install the belt I turned the arbor pulley by hand and immediatelly saw a very noticeable side to side wobble. as I turned the pulley the groves seemed to undulate side to side. The spacer between the pulley and the arbor bearing also appeared to wobble up and down. The arbor itself appeared to be turning perfectly normal.

After I installed the belt and turned the saw on (without the blade), I noticed the vibration that has been reported on other threads by R4511 owners. I also noticed the motor shuddered when coming to a stop after turning the saw off.
    The exact same thing happened with the blade on. The belt also showed considerable vibration.

I thought about removing the pulley and spacer for a closer inspection, as it appears to me, the pulley is held in place by the arbor nut and no special tool is needed for that. Or would I need some kind of pulley extractor?

I have also read that others have solved the vibration and motor shudder annoyance by replacing the factory belt with a Gates/Goodyear quality belt.
    Should I go that route before attempting to take the pulley out?

Here's a picture of the R4511 Repair Sheet (figure B) I annotated and circled the parts in question.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Hawk; 02-08-2010, 01:14 AM. Reason: Added picture

Re: R4511 Wobbly arbor pulley

If there's visible wobble in the arbor sheave, a new belt won't make much difference. You need to sort out the cause of this wobble -- hopefully it will be something simple like a loose nut, debris or burr on the shaft, or a distorted spacer. Worst case would be a bent arbor shaft.

The nut is all that holds the sheave on the arbor shaft -- no special tools needed to remove it.

Comment

Re: R4511 Wobbly arbor pulley

Originally posted by tjc View Post
      If there's visible wobble in the arbor sheave, a new belt won't make much difference. You need to sort out the cause of this wobble -- hopefully it will be something simple like a loose nut, debris or burr on the shaft, or a distorted spacer. Worst case would be a bent arbor shaft.

The nut is all that holds the sheave on the arbor shaft -- no special tools needed to remove it.
      Ok, I went ahead and pulled out the Pulley and spacer and as you said no special tool was needed. At first sight, I noticed a few bit and pieces of metal shavings on the arbor shaft but they were very small but I thought maybe that all it takes to cause the pulley to wobble. Then I inspected the spacer and immediatelly noticed it was cracked all the way thru, (bummer).

The pulley is a thick hefty piece of machined metal. I rolled it on a flat surface and did not see it wobble at all. I also turned the arbor shaft and it appears good too. So all evidence point to the spacer as the culprit.
      I'll call Ridgid customer service tomorrow to have them send me a replacement spacer.

Here's pictures of the spacer
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X