X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed

I could use your help. A few months ago I purchased a TS2424. After I put it together, I cleaned the table surface with Castol Super Cleaner and Degreaser. After that I applied several coats of Turtle Wax Hard Shell Wax to protect the surface. After it was done, I noticed that the machining marks on the table surface had discolored. The same thing recently happened when I set up my drill press. I am in the process of setting up a jointer and I don't want the same thing to happen. Can anyone tell me what type of cleaners and waxes you have had great luck with. I want to use a silicone free wax. I would also like to re-do the table saw and drill press finishes. I have seen other past post about using steel wool or sand paper. I would appreciate a summary of the proper way to remove the discoloration and apply a great wax that will not only protect the table surfaces but make wood slide easily across. Thanks in advance.

Lots of proper ways. Here's mine.

I scrape all the loose goop off with a plastic spatula. Don't use one from the wife's kitchen, it might be the last thing you do.

I use Simple Green, a concentrated detergent cleaner to get the rest of the goop off. Simple Green is water based, leaving it on the iron for a long time will cause rusting, but it won't be on that long.

Then I spray the iron down with WD40. The WD in WD40 stands for Water Dispersant, and they aren't lying. My theory is that this floats the water back out of the pores of the cast iron. I take a green ScotchBrite and a 1/4 sheet sander and polish the WD40 in. This makes a heck of a mess, don't wear good clothes.

Once I get bored with sanding the WD40 in, I wipe off the excess with paper towels, plenty of them. When I can touch a corner of the top without getting very messy, it's wiped up.

Then I wax the top, a couple times. I use Johnson's paste wax cause that's what I have around. About any paste furniture wax is similar, Minwax, Butcher's, whatever is available in your locale.

This first application of wax generally only lasts three to six months. Then I rewax, and after that as necessary. My tablesaw is about ready for rewaxing, I'm pretty sure it has been well over a year.

Dave

Comment

I've had pretty good luck with an old can of Min Wax that's been laying around the garage for the last 20 years. Keeps thing slippery. I've seen some fancy cabinet saws at a store around here that have stickers on them that recommend using a furniture wax. For cleaning, I would probably try lacquer thinner. Do not get it on any painted surfaces.

Best regards,

Henry

Comment

I've also had very good results using Boeshield products for cleaning, rust/stain removal, and protection. Here is their web site if interested: http://www.boeshield.com/index.htm

I traditionally have used bowling alley wax but recently tried a product recommended by Highland Hardware in Atlanta called Renaissance Wax. It's a high end furniture wax that is very pure and also pricey but a little goes a long way. So far, I think it last longer and seems to be a little slicker but I don't really have a way to measure that. It seems to dry fast and to have a fairly hard finish when dry. I have also many times used a method similar to the one Dave describes which is a little more labor intensive but very effective.

Good luck,
        Wood Dog

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely use the ideas. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X