X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Lathe

I recall a couple of years ago seeing a Ridgid Lathe for sale at HD. I haven't seen one there lately and HD says its been discontinued. However, I see a picture of it here at the Ridgid home page. Anyone got any info on that? I want to get a good lathe and I have been looking at Sears and Delta. I want to compare them to the Ridgid....

I believe that both the lathe and their radial arm saw were dropped from production in the last year. They're probably just a little slow on updating the web site. You may still be able to find the lathe in some stores.

CWS

Comment

They disontinued it because it was a POS. Buy a Delta.

Comment

I totally agree with rgrady. I do have this lathe only for the simple fact that I only paid $45 bucks. read this post I did recently.

Comment

The Ridgid lathe was way too light and vibrated really bad, I would compare it to the one at Harbor Freight. Don't waste your money on it. Your best bet is to go with Jet or Delta.
          Jeff

Comment

With all the changes made during the Ridgid take-over, the lathe was one tool that should have been changed----it was junk and even the HF lathe was better built.

After you assess your situation, if you want a floor standing unit, look at Jet and Delta. But, don't overlook the mini-lathes with extension beds. They can be an excellent learning tool. Shop around----bargains exist on both the Jet and Delta mini's.
            Dave

Comment

Thanks guys for the great info. It seems like Jet and Delta seem to be the ones to buy. I was looking at the Craftsman model a little more seriously in the last couple of days, but I really want to comparison shop against Jet and Delta. Which models should I look at? I am a beginner on the lathe but I don't want an entry model. I want functionality and I would like to be able to use a duplicator as well....I am looking mainly to turn table legs and bed posts, and perhaps in the future try my hand in bowl making.

Comment

so no one recommends the HF lathe? even to get into the game of making something other then tapered legs
                I wanted to by the mini lathe from jet but thought that it was way to small to do even a coffee table leg with out making tennons.
                Someone mentioned that you could find a good deal on these lathes with the extensions - where?

thanks

Mc
                Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Rockler sells the Jet Mini with the extension for about $250. I just ordered a Delta Midi w/extension for Six Flags last week I think it was around $300. I know Lowes had a sale on the Delta w/free extension but I'm not sure if it is still going on.
                  I went and looked at the HB lathes and the only one that looked heavy enough was the 34706-5vga by Central Machinery ($279) but that only gives you 33 3/8" between centers. Both Jet and Delta give you 37" I believe.
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34706
                  http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2441
                  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228291

[ 12-29-2004, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: Cuj0HD ]
                  Jeff

Comment

after some careful consideration, I think I will wait till I have about $400 and buy a full size with good tools and an all purpose chuck - I really think that I would end up spending the same if you add the stand, the stand extension, the lathe extension.
                    Someone at Amazon said that this lathe was as low as $399 once:
                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=228013
                    Mick Chambers<br />Keller TX<br />buyukan@yahoo.ca

Comment

Mick---You're certainly right about tools, chuck, etc.---cost the same no matter what lathe you get---however, don't forget to check the measurements---throw (over and beside the bed) for size of bowls and max spindle length, and HP of the motor---The Delta Midi is actually a few inches longer than the HF, with extension----it's no deal with either mini if you don't get a free extension. I own the Delta Midi and have used the Jet (with variable speed) and they are both great---I'd even get Jet a slight leg up for the variable speed and better adjustment handles. The variable speed only gives you narrow ranges of adjustment---you still have to move the belt for big changes.
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X