Using A Grinder on Wood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using A Grinder on Wood

Any of you guys ever use a grinder on wood to give it a certain look or for sanding purposes?

I recently was working on some shelves and wanted to experiment with a certain look so I gridded the edges of the wood to give it a burnt look and then sanded it to the right shade of dark burnt brown and finished it with walnut stain and three coats of polly. It looked great I don't have a picture because I all ready sold it.

Re: Using A Grinder on Wood

Dan, I tried a grinder on wood years ago, but more for wood removal and shaping than to create an appearance. I found that the grinding disc loaded up and got glassy, so it didn't work for me.

But using things in different than the accepted way is a great example of innovation. If a grinder is giving you a finiash you're after or a look you were pleasantly surprised to get, then that's goodness.... and thanks for the idea!

Comment

the speed of the grinder is normally to fast for sanding wood efficiently,

If you look at the speed of the "7" grinder" and a "sander/buffer" the speed of the wheel is much different, I bought a "sander polisher a few years ago to do some wood sanding and it does a good job sanding but if I would put that same disk on the grinder all I would get is burnt wood.

and if using a 4' grinder it would be worst, I have a flap sander disk for metal and I was doing some thing in the metal shop and figured the flap sander disk would work for the little job I had in the shop, and I guess it did, but was burnt and the sander disk was loaded,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
        the speed of the grinder is normally to fast for sanding wood efficiently,

If you look at the speed of the "7" grinder" and a "sander/buffer" the speed of the wheel is much different, I bought a "sander polisher a few years ago to do some wood sanding and it does a good job sanding but if I would put that same disk on the grinder all I would get is burnt wood.

and if using a 4' grinder it would be worst, I have a flap sander disk for metal and I was doing some thing in the metal shop and figured the flap sander disk would work for the little job I had in the shop, and I guess it did, but was burnt and the sander disk was loaded,
        Your right it moves way to fast I have used it for shaping wood. I plan on trying a few different ideas for a certain look I am going for. I have also been burning wood in a very controlled burn to get a certain look as well. I tried using an open flame but that didn't work well. So I started using a torch and that is much easier. Most projects I do I wouldn't use this for but some of the bowls and different artsy items I make come out really neat. That's how i got the idea of using a grinder to put burn marks on the wood. It's a very difficult process with out putting divots in the wood. You really need a steady hand for it.

Comment

Hey All!

I've used a 4-1/2 grinder from Makita model 9564CV. 12 AMP, variable speed from 2.800 to 10.500 RPM, constant speed, electronically regulated. It also has soft start and electronic brake. Very safe.

About abrasive material, I have a very good experience using Norton Avos Speed Lok Products:

http://www.azautobodysupply.com/avsplokpr.html

When you can adjust speed, you do not burn wood.

Best

Ari

Comment

I use this style flap disc all the time for shaping wood. 36 grit for heavy removal and 80 grit for final shaping.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

You can also use a wood carving disc. http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000...cs/videos.aspx

Comment

Working...
              X