X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Out of Square ?

Hi all,
    My first post.
    I have a TS3650, which I thought was 'in square' but when I compare a panel cut on the TS with my Crosscut Sled, I find the panel to be out of square.
    I'm stumped!
    I've checked that the blade is parallel to the fence, by using a long straightedge up against the blade (making sure it lands between teeth and snug against the blade body). Comparing the front measurement to the back, identical!
    So? Where is my problem? What should I be looking at instead?

Bman.

Re: TS 3650 Out of Square ?

Originally posted by Birdeman View Post
    Hi all,
    My first post.
    I have a TS3650, which I thought was 'in square' but when I compare a panel cut on the TS with my Crosscut Sled, I find the panel to be out of square.
    I'm stumped!
    I've checked that the blade is parallel to the fence, by using a long straightedge up against the blade (making sure it lands between teeth and snug against the blade body). Comparing the front measurement to the back, identical!

Bman.
    Is the sled's fence square to its runner?

Comment

Did you edge joint one side of the lumber before starting to make the panel. If not then that could be one possible source of your troubles.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

I prefer to first align the blade to the miter slot, like Marc demonstrates here. Then align the fence to the miter slot.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdeman View Post
          Hi all,
          My first post.
          I'm stumped!

Bman.
          I presume that your crosscut sled uses a runner that rides in the miter gage slot? Most do. The miter slot should be DEAD PARALLEL to the blade. The fence should have a very slight toe - the back of the blade should be 0.010 to 0.020 further from the fence than the front. This avoids trapping and burning the wood and also helps avoid kickbacks.

If your sled is riding in the slot, fence-to-blade parallelism isn't relevant. There's an adjustment (check your manual) for blade to miter gage slot parallelism.

Also, regarding the fence built into your sled that the panel registers against, this has to be dead square - 90 degrees - to the runner. If you are just 1/2 degree off (easy to be off this much!!) you will be off about 0.100" per foot of panel!

If your sled is riding on the fence, then the sled's registration fence needs to be dead square to the sled surface that rides along the fence. In this case (unusual sled but OK, it probably works for you) the blade-to-fence parallelism STILL doesn't need to be perfect - the slight toe I mentioned above is still necessary and won't hurt a thing.

Good luck!

-Andy

Comment

Wow, Thanks to all for your speedy reply. I dug out the Owner's manual last night and re-read the set-up instructions.

However, after reviewing your comments and advise, I believe I will need to now go back to basics and start with lining up the blade to the miter slot (parallel) first.

Then if I understand correctly I have a reference to line up the Fence, again for parallel. Andy, I presently do have a toe on the blade, which I thought was the cause of my problem, but I now better understand the reason for keeping it that way.

Just to clarify, I believe the sled to be accurate as the final cuts (panels) are truly square (I even went out and bought a new square). It's the cuts I make without it that concern me.

So, I'll start from the top.
            Cheers.
            TK.

Comment

Working...
            X