Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511 Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

    I was preparing to cut some acrylic pieces tonight so I needed to change the saw blade. The blade nut came off without a hitch but the blade washer just wouldn't come off the arbor shaft. It would wiggle a little bit one way and then another but wouldn't come away from the blade more than a quarter inch in any directions.

    My saw is one of the recall 4511's and the tech is probably going to be on site next week to change the arbor shaft. Anyone know if this symptom is typical of the recalled saws? It was kind of difficult getting the washer on in the first place. Almost like sliding something oblong onto a round shaft. Had to wiggle it back and forth to get it up to the blade but the blade nut threaded on without any indication of a bad or high thread hindering tightening it up.

    Any ideas?

  • #2
    Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

    Take a piece of sandpaper and carefully sand the inside of the washer. You should only need to remove a little of the material in order for the washer to work the way it should.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

      Originally posted by Mr.D View Post
      Anyone know if this symptom is typical of the recalled saws? It was kind of difficult getting the washer on in the first place. Almost like sliding something oblong onto a round shaft. Had to wiggle it back and forth to get it up to the blade but the blade nut threaded on without any indication of a bad or high thread hindering tightening it up.

      Any ideas?
      Badgerdave's suggestion about sanding the inside of the arbor may not hurt, but to do that you have to get the washer off and my understanding is it won't come off. Also, if this is one of the recall machines and it has yet to be inspected, I would leave it alone unless you absolutely have to use it. That includes using it with the presently installed blade, though the reported problems were with dados. I am also wondering if a bad arbor can skew a good blade.

      Why have you waited until now to call for service on a recalled machine?

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

        Originally posted by Klawman View Post
        Badgerdave's suggestion about sanding the inside of the arbor ..............
        Just to set the record straight, I didn't say to sand the arbor, that would not be a good idea at all.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

          Originally posted by Klawman View Post
          Badgerdave's suggestion about sanding the inside of the arbor may not hurt, but to do that you have to get the washer off and my understanding is it won't come off. Also, if this is one of the recall machines and it has yet to be inspected, I would leave it alone unless you absolutely have to use it. That includes using it with the presently installed blade, though the reported problems were with dados. I am also wondering if a bad arbor can skew a good blade.

          Why have you waited until now to call for service on a recalled machine?
          Just bought the machine 3 weeks ago and it took me a couple weeks to get it together. First thing I did after getting it into the basement was to call the hotline to get a tech to change the arbor. We had major snow last week so everything is behind. I'd expect to get the new arbor next week.
          .........................

          Now back to the washer situation. Had a hard time getting a grip on the washer with my Channellock's so I used a small pipe wrench to get a bite and rotated the arbor shaft. Almost like it was unscrewing from the shaft.

          Measured the inside diameter and came up with 3 different readings of .0620, .06215 & .06225. Turned the washer over and got 3 different readings again between .0621 & .0625. Got out the Dremel and went around it a 5 or 6 times and tried to put it back on but still a little to tight. Repeated that a couple times until my measurements came back all in the .0625 to .0626 range. Now it still a tight fit but it does slid on and off the way it should. Ridgid is sending me a new washer so it will be interesting to see what the new washer measures.

          Also had to smooth out a little burr that was on the blade side of the washer. Don't know if these are stamped or machined (i suspect stamped) but not a good job either way.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

            I have a saw that was not on the recall list and I had to sand the inside of the washer. It would take me several minutes to get the washer off. Remember, these are just punched washers and they usually leave a burr on the inside.

            Charles
            Charles

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

              Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
              Take a piece of sandpaper and carefully sand the inside of the washer. You should only need to remove a little of the material in order for the washer to work the way it should.
              This IS the way to fix it. I did the same thing to my saw.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                BadgerDave: I misspoke when I referred to the washer as the arbor.

                If the arbor is fine, sanding the washer may be allright, but my understanding was that this is one of the machines on the recall list and a tech is supposed to come out to check on a possibly replace the arbor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                  Originally posted by Klawman View Post
                  BadgerDave: I misspoke when I referred to the washer as the arbor.

                  If the arbor is fine, sanding the washer may be allright, but my understanding was that this is one of the machines on the recall list and a tech is supposed to come out to check on a possibly replace the arbor.
                  According to the OP it is one that needs the arbor replaced, but this would not affect the washer. The washer is not a precision cut piece in the first place, a light sanding will ease the fit and make changing blades much easier.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                    Originally posted by acs_guitars View Post
                    According to the OP it is one that needs the arbor replaced, but this would not affect the washer. The washer is not a precision cut piece in the first place, a light sanding will ease the fit and make changing blades much easier.
                    I just think it isn't a good idea to be running the saw, even if there is nothing wrong with the arbor after a good sanding, until the arbor is replaced. As for the arbor not affecting the washer, do you know that a faulty arbor shaft hasn't caused the washer to go out of round?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                      There is no defect that the arbor could possibly have that would make the hole in the washer out of round, unless the arbor exploded like a grenade. And since it is still intact...

                      That said, I probably would not be using the saw much until the arbor was replaced.

                      Also, my recommendation is not to let them "test" the arbor and say yay or nay to replacement. When the repair guy shows...insist that they replace it. I do not trust the one time torque test as validation that there is not stress crack in the part.

                      I didn't even let them do the test. Just said "swap it out".

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                        Originally posted by Klawman View Post
                        I just think it isn't a good idea to be running the saw, even if there is nothing wrong with the arbor after a good sanding, until the arbor is replaced. As for the arbor not affecting the washer, do you know that a faulty arbor shaft hasn't caused the washer to go out of round?
                        I agree, the saw should be toe-tagged until the arbor is checked and replaced if needed. As for the arbor causing the washer issue, I don't see how it would... But I guess anything is possible. My washer was a tight fit, not that it was out of round, just that the inner diameter of the washer was certainly on the low end of factory tolerance. My saw was made beyond the recall date, and has proven to have no issues with the arbor. Many have had the issue of a tight washer, it slides on fine, but when removing a blade it is so tight that it binds. The simple fix we have given is to sand or file the inner diameter slightly to ease the fit.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Outer Blade Washer Problem R4511

                          Tomapple & acs_guitars:

                          You are almost certainly right that an arbor shaft defect did not cause the problem with the washer and I also agree with Tom not to accept the torque test. Had you bought the saw before the recall, you may not be on too firm ground in demanding a new shaft, but it stinks that HD sold it without first having the saw inspected/repaired or at least telling you about the recall. WTF if you only learned about the recall by catching dado blade tooth in an eye?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X