X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminate both sides?

I understand that when making surface panels, i.e. top for a router table, table saw extension table, etc., that it needs to be covered on both sides to prevent uneven moisture absorption, warping, etc. But it seems like a waste of laminate to put laminate on both sides. Wouldn't it be just as good and more economical to put sealer, polyurethane, Deft, etc. on one side (and the edges) and then just put laminate on the top? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing? Where am I going wrong here?

Re: Laminate both sides?

If your in a climate that experiences a lot of humidity change it may be be best to laminate both sides, it is recommended, at one time they made a "cover" laminate for the back side, (i never used it either, as the way I was suppled by my local small lumber yard, it was very expensive, if I would have had some large supplier that would have been near most likely could have saved some cost,

at one time one could buy 4x8 sheets of popular stocked styles of laminate from big box stores, last time I was in one it said they no longer did that, and that would same some over special order, it was less than halve of special order, at that time.

I would do the edges regardless, and the top, seal the bottom

it has been my experience if your in a stable climate and the materials are acclimated to your area I have had Little problem with warping,

but getting back to your project, what size is a router table, or a saw extension, 2x3 foot, 3x3 foot, that is 6square foot or 9 square foot, I do not know current prices, on it but say it is $3 a square foot, yes it would cost you some where from $18 to $27 more for the project, but if your concerned about it, and your saving hundreds by building the project in the first place, a few more dollars now may be well worth it,

if your just wanting to go cheap, go get a sheet (or half a sheet) of cabinet material that has the Melamine coating on both sides,

If you stop by a cabinet shop you may be able to get a sink cut out of a size that would work for you as well, or a scrap or two of laminate cheap, or a counter top with the back broke off or some other damage that could be cut off and worked around.
    if the company has been in business for some time see if they have any thing that was special ordered and not picked up or returned, if your not picky on color you may be able to get some low cost high quality laminate,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Re: Laminate both sides?

http://www.woodmagazine.com/material...lector/?page=1

MELAMINE Description: Particleboard faced with paper impregnated with melamine resin, a type of plastic. Paper on low-cost types is simply adhered. Higher-cost sheets are thermally fused (essentially melted together). Uses: Great for making cabinet carcases because it wipes clean easily. Use it, as well, for shop fixtures or to make an economical router-table top. Available Sizes: Sold in 49x97" oversize sheets in 1/4", 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" thicknesses. Common Grades: There are no standard grades for melamine, but there are "vertical" and "horizontal" types. Higher-priced sheets generally feature thermally fused coatings and are made with thicker paper. Pros: It is inexpensive, readily available in a variety of colors and in wood-grain patterns, and has an easily cleaned surface. Also available with kraft paper or real-wood veneer on one face. Cons: Melamine is not moisture resistant, heavy, edges chip easily when cutting unless you use blade designed for cutting laminates. Where to find it: Home centers carry 1/2" and 3/4" sheets, shelves, and closet parts. Colors other than white and patterned papers are available by special order. Price (3/4"x4x8', sheet unless noted): $25+ for adhered-surface, vertical-grade white sheets common in home centers. Colors and wood-grain patterns cost slightly more. $40+ for thermally fused sheets
      Attached Files
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
      X