X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Material for new rails on 4511

I uses 2" X 1/8 X 6 ft square Al rail and it works fine. I rounded over the top and front sharp outside edges on my router table, cleaned the Al with cleaning solution and waxed it. I extended the rail 1 hole to the right and left the mounting bracker where it was. I purchased the tubing locally from a steel & Al supplier.

I found this tubing on Amazon.com it is not what I used, but it looks like the same thing and cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-6063-...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For the end plugs, after looking everywhere locally I used these.

http://www.central-steel.net/2inchsq...ubingplug.aspx

I purchsed this sticky back rule from Amazon.com. but haven't installed it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

I then put a 27 by 30" table extension on the right and a 9" extension on the left. this gives me plenty of table space to work on.
    With the fence clamped to the rail I have 38.25" of rip space. By clamping the fence directly to the table I have 48.5" of rip space.

I also installed a drawer under the right extension. At first I was concerned with the added weight but I didn't even have to realign the Hurc-U-Lift or re-level the table. I keep my TS accessories in the draw.

See photos:

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment

Attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

Cisco1138,
      Glad i could inspire you! that was my TS that you referenced in you post .... did you get a chance to see the entire thing when it was finished? (here)
      i also made a crosscut sled for my Incra (here) and here is the link to my router table setup (here)

i considered using 1/8" walled AL for the front rail but the metalsuper market that i was at didnt have it in stock... all they had was the steel! but i did use AL for the front angle.... i havent had any issuse with distortion or sagging... i think if i had to do it over again i would go with AL!

Comment

Silly question, but if the rail is to be powder coated, should it be done before or after the holes are drilled and tapped? If it is done after, won't the coating get into the threads?

Comment

You can put bolts in the holes while it is being painted...just trim around them with a razor so you don't chip your paint.

Comment

I would not want to paint the rails (where the fence contacts) because it can throw off the square of the fence.
            powdercoating will be worse

look on ebay and see of you can find a piece of stainless tubing

bob

Comment

Working...
            X