Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed for lumber quote.

Hello All,

I just received a price quote (approx) on some cedar lumber I need to make an outdoor bench.

All lengths are 8'

(1) 2x12
    (1) 2x10
    (4) 2x6
    (1) 2x4

They quoted me a price of $360. Does that seem reasonable? I am fairly new to this stuff and I want to make sure the price seems reasonable.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Pete

I have never purchased Cedar, but I would not have expected it to price out at $5.40 bdft. It could be that’s the going rate considering the additional premium for the larger dimensions you would be purchasing.

Woodslayer

Comment

Before ordering send an email to this address and give him your size list. mshelley@arkansas.net
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Here I can get it for 4.00 a board, 4/4 x6x8 rough cut an dry

Comment

2.00 a board foot rough sawn and kiln dried here. you might check out http://www.decking-online.com/

I did not notice where you were from. if you are anywhere near valparaiso indiana email me direct and i can hook you up with the mill i use
          \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

This is by the board not board feet

Comment

My apologies my response was a bit confusing. I have a saw mill i deal with that i can get cedar for 2.00 a board foot. same with walnut and cherry. oak is .60 a board foot kiln dried, rough sawn and ready.

this is differnt than the link i provided, my apologies for the confusion
              \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Here it would be $265.04 for Western Red Cedar C & better D4S. I have a suggestion for you, check out the construction grade cedar it is way cheeper. Since you are building a bench you will be cutting smaller pieces from the lumber. Buy the clearest stock you can find and layout your bench around any knots. Yes you will have more scrap, requireing more lumber but the cost will be less

Comment

Isn't the internet, moreover this forum just fantastic. You post a message and there are plenty of people just willing to help. Just incredible.

Well, looking at the responses -- I have a lot of options. I will tell you that I live in Northern Virginia, so on some of the options the extra amount for shipping might raise the price over the $360 quote I received. I'll get in touch with the places mentioned and go from there.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                    My apologies my response was a bit confusing. I have a saw mill i deal with that i can get cedar for 2.00 a board foot. same with walnut and cherry. oak is .60 a board foot kiln dried, rough sawn and ready.

this is differnt than the link i provided, my apologies for the confusion
                    Does this mill ship? I live in St. Louis and I would love to get some rough cherry and oak.

Thanks,
                    Michael

Comment

Hello All, I am finding that the wood in other places is indeed cheaper, but the shipping pushes it over my original price quote.

wbrooks -- the salesman did suggest construction grade cedar, but the difference in priced was fairly small (around $50).

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

papadan, although he does not have the lumber I need, Marvin was very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion

Comment

Working...
                        X