X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid arbor an miter slot different?

I read on another forum that the miter slot on Ridgid tables are a hair smaller than the other brands causing aftermarket miter gages ,jigs, etc... to bind. Is this true? Also, they said that the arbor Ridgid uses is a bastard size and when fitted with a dado blade it leaves the bottom of the cut round and not flat. Am I being misled if so please drop me a line on this forum and let me know.

Woodstock,

I don't have the answer about the miter slot, I have heard both that it is and it is NOT smaller, but I have not confirmed. As far as the arbor, it is a 5/8" arbor just like any other, and I get flat bottoms with my dado set. I have the TS2424.

-Rob
    -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Woodstock,

The arbor on the RIDGID table saw is a standard 5/8 arbor and will accept up to a 13/16" wide dado, like most all table saws on the market.

As far as the miter slot goes, the slot on the RIDGID table saw is slightly narrower than the slot on a Delta, by less than 10 thousandths. It comes from that fact that our slot is exactly 3/4" wide and we tolerance the miter bar down to fit, while Delta's miter bar is 3/4" and they tolerance the slot up to fit the bar. Since most of the Taiwan made table saws are clones of the Delta, they too have this wider slot. I have never seen any problems with aftermarket jigs, miter gauges, etc since almost all have an adjustment to take out the slack in the miter slot which will allow the those bars to fit in our slot. The only problem I have seen comes from the Delta tenoning jig, but all that a person has to do is change out the bar.

Jake

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply, it is greatly appreciated. Now that all my questions and doubts have been answered I think I'll go pick up my saw.Thanks again. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Woodstock, I read the same thread (I think) that you did. It was written by a Freud rep? who indicated that the majority of the problems with TS not cutting flat bottomed dados could be attributed to Sears/Emerson/Ridgid saws because they had an "undersized" arbor.
          http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubb/Fo...ML/004462.html

I think this is an incorrect assesment of the problem. I'm not speaking for Jake but I think I read sometime back that the problem was the way the arbor threads were cut/rolled which left a fillet and would not allow all blades to bottom out properly. (Help me Jake).

I have a TS2424 and a Freud SD508 and the dados are beautiful and flat as a pancake.

I also have a Delta tenon jig. Took about 10 minutes to sand the miter bar a little on each side till it fit smoothly in miter slot. Not a big deal at all. I think someone sells a replacement miter bar, but I think sanding the factory supplied one to fit is a better option.

Same Freud rep also said in another thread that arbors were non-standard as you could not get a full 3/4 dado and arbor washer *AND* nut. I think this is misleading info also. I don't believe it is absolutely necessary to have washer on. (I don't)

Kind of doubt that this person really speaks for Freud in an official capacity or perhaps has stock in Delta.
          Dick

Comment

Hergy, that problem is that there is a gap between the seat of the arbor and the threads. I have a TS2424-0 and cannot use a dado cutter.

My understanding is that Emerson will replace it, since it is a manufacturing defect. I suppose one of these days I will call up and see if that's so. Not a huge deal to me, since tablesaw isn't my dado machine of choice.

Dave

Comment

Hergy's right again (Two for two today, good job)(oh and Dave’s right too, don't want to leave anyone out). At one time the threads on the arbors of the RIDGID tablesaws were rolled not cut so on some arbors a step would form as Dave described and cause the bottom of the cut not to be flat. We have since started cutting those threads and the problem no longer exists. If you suspect you have one with rolled threads call 1-800-4RIDGID and we will send you a replacement at no cost to you.

On the length issue, you do not use the washer on the wider dados. The washer is only there to provide support to the thin blade, on a dado there is enough material that the support of a collar is not needed. If the arbor were any longer it would reduce the maximum depth of cut at 45ยบ.

Could someone please post a link to this discussion?[EDIT]OOPS never mind I now see the address in Hergy's post Thanks[EDIT]

Thanks
              Jake

[ 07-09-2001: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Jake, thanks for the confirmation on the replacement. Congratulations on working for a stand-up firm. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

I've got to show this to my wife. Right twice in one day. There is hope!
                  Dick

Comment

Working...
                  X