X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 - melted the belt in 1 cut

So, I just put my new 4511 together. I had read on this forum that a replacement belt from McMaster Carr was available that fitted this saw, so I bought 2 of them and that's the belt that I installed.

So, turned the saw on and let it run for a minute. Sounded great. Beautiful, even. Tried to rip an piece of oak stair tread as a test (I've previously successfully ripped this on my $150 craftsman starter saw).

Well, it started to slow/bog down a little, so I slowed the rate of feed and kept going. Well, that was followed by a pop and the smell of burning rubber. On inspection all but one of the grooves had melted/shredded off the belt and the belt had just popped off of the arbor and motor.

When I installed the belt it seemed to be on all of the grooves and parallel. Also the blade/arbor seem to be dead straight. Was I expecting too much of this saw? Is the replacement belt not a true replacement? Any ideas or previous experiences would be much appreciated!!

Re: R4511 - melted the belt in 1 cut

You put an aftermarket replacement belt on your brand new saw, it fails and you blame the saw? I think I'm missing something here. Did you call McMaster Carr?
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave. At the moment I'm not blaming anything; I'm just trying to work out why this happened and if it's fairly common on any tablesaws. Some googling suggests that it's rare, so then it's down to what I know, which is:

1) the motor definitely bogged down (something that didn't happen on my weedy Craftsman), and I'm guessing this is where the problem started;
      2) the belt heated up so much it shredded the grooved and the whole belt deformed
      3) when I touched the threaded motor spindle where the belt attached it was very hot - even a couple of minutes later.

Maybe it was caused by the motor spindle spinning faster than the blade/arbor which caused friction & heat on the belt, which was slipping rather than gripping? I have no idea, and have no prior experience with a belt-driven saw.

Comment

I would go through the motor mounting steps once again just to make sure that all is as it should be. I would also revisit the blade and fence alignment setup procedure one more time. The reason I would do both is it kinda sounds like you have more than one problem to deal with. The belt shredding sure sounds like a pulley alignment issue while the motor bogging down could be any number of things. Right off the top of my head, too fast of a feed rate, misaligned blade and/or fence are a couple that come to mind.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Andy, I agree with BadgerDave that it seems there is something else going on.

The stock blade with the saw is not a good one, but still should have been able to cut the test wood you tried out.

Guys who have this saw have cut much thicker wood than your stair tread with this saw and a full kerf blade albeit a better blade than the stock one.

Dave is right on with starting back with the pulley alignment thru to blade and fence alignment.

You could also try putting the stock belt back on, just in case you got the wrong one from mcmaster.

Comment

Something's not right...discovering the root cause is always the challenge. I'd check the belt tension in addition to pulley alignment and belt seating in the pulley, and would definitely give the stock belt a shot.

If you're looking for upgrades, start with the stock blade.

Good luck!

Comment

hewood / Caot / BadgerDave - thanks so much. I will go back to the alignment procedures that you suggest, and also try the stock belt. I'll let you know what I find.

I'm not sure what I can do with regard to belt tension, as I believe that the tension on the belt in the 4511 is dictated by the weight of the motor swinging down (???) although I may have something horribly wrong here.

I'm actually using a Ridgid Ultimate Polished Cut blade with a slow feed rate, so I was really surprised at the results.

I'll try again tonight. I'm not worried about losing another belt, but I am really excited to start using this saw. Most of my tools are low-end/budget, so this is a big upgrade for me

Comment

So, I checked my alignment, and everything seemed to be on the money. I installed the stock belt and... wow. The blade got up to speed much quicker than the 'upgraded' belt and I knew without even having to cut that the other belt must have been slipping like crazy. I cut through the same stair tread like it wasn't there.

So, that's my lesson learded then: start with stock and go from there. Then you have a reference to compare any 'upgrade' to. There's definitely a little wobble when the saw powers down (I've read this in so many posts and it's no less true for my saw), but when it's running it's very smooth.

Thanks all for your help, and for solving my problem.

Comment

I just reread the orginal post and it got me to wondering. Does the 4511 use a v-belt or does it use a poly groove belt like the 3650/3660? From reading the first post it sounds like andy was putting a poly groove belt on v-belt pulleys,
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Thanks. I believe it's a poly-v (although I'm no belt expert!) with 6 v grooves. The replacement belt appears to have the same specs, but the material is different (it is neoprene-based). My guess is that this is the reason for the very different performance characteristics.

I actually got the suggestion/specific part number from another woodworking forum. Oh well, I've made much more expensive mistakes before than a $12 belt

Comment

Andy- yes its a poly V belt with grooves, and my stock belt ran pretty smooth but I ordered a belt from McMaster and installed it not only to have an extra just in case, but to see if there was any performance difference.

The McMaster belt may run just a bit smoother than my stock belt, but the stock was in pretty good shape when I got it, where others have had their's folded or kinked and had issues.

Anyway glad that solved your problem and I believe there is a thread here where Chrisex posted the correct belt size from McMaster, if you wanted to look it up and compare to what you ordered.

Comment

Thanks so much Cato. The belt I ordered from McMaster Carr was one that was referenced a number of times on Lumberjocks. The part number is 9003K16 and the trade size is 300J6. I ordered two of these and they both came with Goodyear logos stamped on the belt. Maybe I'll try the second one too in case the first was just defective.

Did you order a different belt? It would be great to know the part number. A got excited when I thought I'd found a sure-fire replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyS View Post
                          ...I'm actually using a Ridgid Ultimate Polished Cut blade with a slow feed rate, so I was really surprised at the results....
                          Glad to hear that you're up and running with the stock belt.

That Ridgid R1090C is a nice 90T thin kerf blade....it'll be excellent for ply, sheetgoods, and fine crosscuts, but isn't a good all around general purpose blade....too many teeth for ripping. It'll overtax the motor compared to a blade with fewer teeth, and is likely to cause burning. You might want to add a good thin kerf 24T to 40T blade to your arsenal for ripping tasks and all general use.

Comment

That's a great point Hewood - I was using completely the wrong blade. I got excited that I finally got the saw to start and brabbed the first piece of wood I could find.

I have a 60 tooth Dewalt 'combo' that I probably should have tried with that oak in absence of a true rip blade. I'll have to buy a 24-40T rip blade as you suggest. Good excuse to go shopping this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X