X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just what I was looking for

I read Tod's Top Tip about cutting one straight edge on table saw and have a few questions. What holds the straight edge jig to fence while cutting? Can it be made shorter for shorter lengths? Tod said MDF, it appeared the MDF is the core, whatis the vineer on the outside?
    I have quite of bit of irregular stock that this will work perfectly for?
    Ed

Re: Just what I was looking for

>> "What holds the straight edge jig to fence while cutting?"

You do. You're hoding the stock to the long cleat and pressing the whole shebang against the fence as you feed

>> "Can it be made shorter for shorter lengths?"

Yes, but why? If you make it short it won't work on long boards. If you make it long it will work on short boards.

>> "Tod said MDF, it appeared the MDF is the core, whatis the vineer on the outside?"

It looks like MDF to me. I don't see any veneer. Are you looking at the board he is straightenning rather than the jig? It looks like the cleats might be some sort of scrap lumber. It doesn't really matter. MDF is nice because it's cheap and the edges don't crumble when you cut it.

>> "I have quite of bit of irregular stock that this will work perfectly for?"

I don't see why not. I've been using a similar jig for this purpose for years and no longer have a jointer. This gives at least as straight of an edge and probably better. Plus even with a jointer you have to make a saw pass to get the second edge parallel. I don't miss the jointer at all... just took up space.

Comment

Working...
    X