Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbit Sanders Makita or Ridgid?

Hi guys, I just registered for this site. I have been looking for a new ROS sander since my Roybi burnt up after 4 days! This time I have really been investigation them and come down to the two following brands/models:
    Makita B5012K palm ROS.
    and
    Ridgid R2600 Palm ROS.

Can I get an honest evaluation of these two sanders here? I realize it's a "Ridgid" site, so honestly I am wondering!
    Changeling

I just purchased a refurbished Ryobi single speed ROS at a Cummings Tools Mobile Truck sale. I purchased it for one reason. Using Scuff pads on it to shin the cast iron tables on my machinery. I did not feel comfortable using my good 333vs for this procedure. I tried it out and works fine, but it has too rough a pattern for fine finishing. And without variable speed, it's a roughing sander at best.

I also have used a Makita, DeWalt and Skill. I returned all 3, and finally purchased the Porter Cable. I have not yet to try the Ridgid, but I did look at it last weekend. Seams a bit big for my preferences.
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I'm quite happy with my Porter Cable. I chose it primarily b/c it was on sale at ROCKLER for 50 bucks when the new models were coming out but it does a fine job. Has a dust collector and I have not bumped into a woodworker yet that has a complaint about Porter cable, although I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could find one.. lol. But all being equal, great ROS

Comment

Hi Changling!

A few weeks ago, I posted my comments re. the Ridgid 5 inch ROS. I felt that it had a number of features that placed it ahead of the PC #333VS. I have a number of PC cordless tools and like every one of them! However, the Ridgid orbital sander is good! I dont consider myself pro-Ridgid; I call them for what I see them!

Chris
        Chris Berg

Comment

Thing about them mobile fly by night rip off tool sales is, you want to buy the refurbished items. The first time around they are crap, untested, assembled wrong, 2nds and the factory knows it. That's how they end up with them in the first place through distressed merchandising. Or they are just cheap inports to begin with. Returning defective items is such a pain 99% of the time the customers just trash it and eat the cost. You have to return it to the manufacture, not the seller.

When a new tool purchased through a reputable dealer has defects, they are returned to the factory, fixed, tested, and inspected. Then put out to the highest bidder in destressed merchandise. Most are actually in better, more reliable condition than "off the line" units.

I know this to be true, because for 3 years I owned my own mail order business for distressed merchandise, called J&S Wholesalers. I got the facts directly from factory reps from Eurika, SamSung, DeWalt and other mid to low end brand names. Unfortunately for me, at the time thee economey was good, and no one wanted anything to do with Refurbs...marking them as used, yard sale items.

Buying Refurbished doesn't mean USED, it means defective/repaired. If any of the casements shows ware they replace it. In the last few years, if you've watched the market, refurbished products have double in price, nearing new retail price. Markup on distressed merchandise is much greater than new product.

Outfits like Harbor Frieght, Homier, Cummings, etc are cashing in big time on the refurb sales. For me, I saved quite a bit for a tool that is used only a few times a year that saves ware and tear on my good tool.

As stated many times everywhere, you need to know what your buying. Expect no more out of it than the price you pay. It was well worth $15 bucks to me to save abusive ware on an $80 precission tool.
          John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I have a variable speed DeWalt ROS. I have really put it through the works the last year and a half and really like it. Very well counterbalanced (in my opinion). Does a great, smooth job. Obviously, when I purchased mine, the Ridgid wasn't out but I still have no desire to switch away from my DeWalt ROS.

I like Porter-Cable tools very much. But I decided against the Porter-Cable ROS because it used 5-hole disks and most brands use 8-hole. As a result, at least where I live, 8-hole disks are much easier to find.

[ 12-10-2003, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: George ]

Comment

Bergybits,
              I am in the market to buy a ROS. What do think is better(at least for your needs) about the ridgid?
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Hi Raphael:

The speed range of the PC 333VS is a bit broader than the Ridgid model but this does not impact on me and the general use purpose of the tool I bought. The 5 hole vs. 8 hole paper issue I had heard about before making my Ridgid purchase but when I checked out available stock of the two different holed papers, there didnt seem to be much difference in availability in my location. It was the comfort of the grip that sealed it for me. Im getting a bit of arthritis in the hands (Im only 50 mind you) and the Ridgid seemed to offer me a bit more comfort for holding. In addition (and this may be a very subjective point) it seemed to me that there was less vibration transfer into my hand with the Ridgid ROS. I found the Ridgid *thru the handle* on/off switch more ergonomic for me than the togle on / off switch at the front of the grip on the PC 333VS. Also, that 12 foot cord I found to be a real blessing and the sander case is nice(?) to have. I dont know if the PC has as long a cord BUT if cord length is important to you (if your shop is fairly wide) the longer cord may be important for you. I found the dust pick-up good (Ive done soft wood / hard wood / varnish removal so far. The cloth / plastic frame dust collector on the Ridgid takes a bit of banging to shake out. The design of the PC dust collector would appear to make it (the PC) easier to empty. I have heard comments about a year ago where the PC dust collector cup would detach on its own. It would be best if other PC users could comment on this tendency to happen. The power indicator light (mounted in the plug of the Ridgid ROS)would have served a better role if it were located on the hand grip of the ROS...that way, when I find the tool among all of the clutter on my work bench, I know it is plugged in as soon as I find and look at the actual tool and not for the lit plug in the wall (and that could be half way accross the shop). I have used the Ridgid ROS quite a few times now and have no negative experiences. Over the long haul, I think the Ridgid ROS will really give the PC 333VS a run for the money (its also cheaper than the PC). I think that we all need to remember that the Ridgid ROS is the new boy on the block and only time will tell how well it stands up in terms of dependability. Please note that I would have bought the PC if Ridgid hadnt come out with the ROS in the past 2 months in Canada. It would be benificial for users of the other major brand ROS to jump in and do a comparison as well. We need good healthy discussions on the objective merits and drawbacks to the tools that we use. This will allow the tool buyer to make better choices in the future AND also supply useful information to the gurus who sit in those big Orange or Yellow or Grey or Red or Blue/Green offices out there in tool manufacturing land!

Sorry for being long-winded but hope this assisted you!

Chris
                Chris Berg

Comment

At first I agreed about the light at the tool instead of at the plug, but now I see the wisdom... it is easier to find the sander on my bench or floor, than to tell which plug is which in the power strip. So, being a typical consumer, I wish it had the light at both ends.

I definitely consider the on/off location a plus (also the VS setting, which is nice contouring 1/4" ply edges). Also, the long cord is a truly great feature... it's a wonder more mfrs. don't go for the payback in user satisfaction for this apparently minor feature.

Haven't had the dust bag come off, but after I tried using it with the shop vac connected instead, I've never looked back. However, no such connection is ever going to get "all" the dust (sure gets a lot of it, though). When I get around to building that Ultimate Tool Stand I will have the downdraft table.

I have the 5" and I have been using it a lot. I like this tool. I have never owned the PC; hefted it in the store and just liked this one better.

Comment

Bergybits,
                    Thanks for the details. It is helpful.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have a Porter-Cable random orbit sander and have been happy with it. I've had mixed results from Cummings tool sale. The only time I went I bought a bench top drill press and a Ryobi 3"x21" variable speed belt sander. I paid about $80 for the sander, which was a few dollars cheaper than HD at the time, and around $30 for the drill press. Although I haven't used the sander a whole lot, it seems to work well. However, I recently sold the drill press for $10 and would have actually given it away to get it out of my way. It was actually quite dangerous. The first time I tried to use it, the chuck fell out I ended up with one turning spindle in my hand and a couple on the floor. I eventually got the chuck to stay put but never truly solved the spindle problem. I think I used it once after this first experience and that was mostly to see if I could drill anything on that machine. Forget precision drilling, if I could get a hole and escape without injury, I considered the experience successful. A brace and bit is safer and much more accurate than that machine.

Comment

Cris, thanks very much for addressing the question I asked. I have decided to get the Ridgid R2600. I like it's design and features not to mention that fantastic "feel". Now all I have to do is find a really good Wet/Dry vac for the dustless hookup I need. I was looking at the Ridgid WD1245 but it received a "Bad review" from a reviewer at Eopinions. I really hate listening to one persons opinion usually, so I am still open to opinions with "Personal Experience".
                        Changeling

Comment

Originally posted by Changeling:
                          Cris, thanks very much for addressing the question I asked. I have decided to get the Ridgid R2600. I like it's design and features not to mention that fantastic "feel". Now all I have to do is find a really good Wet/Dry vac for the dustless hookup I need. I was looking at the Ridgid WD1245 but it received a "Bad review" from a reviewer at Eopinions. I really hate listening to one persons opinion usually, so I am still open to opinions with "Personal Experience".
                          Changeling
                          I have a w/d vac by ridgid and I love it. It is the small one but I find there is more than enough power for my table saw's dust along with a few others like my miter saw and oscilating sander. For $70 canadian I will have another one in my shop soon after the holidays.
                          Hope this helps!
                          Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

I have also just purchased the Ridgid WD4050 Vac and can say that it has plenty power and hooks right up to the 2600.

Comment

I used a Makita last year (borrowed). I believe it was about a year old. Personally, it did a good job, but the dust pickup was awful (about a 1" dia tube to bag) and I found it quite noisey. I was impressed with its ability though and wanted a ROS. On shopping, I found the Makita too expensive and bought the Ryobi VS ROS. It proved to be terrific and with less vibration, better handling, and much better dust removal. So when Ridgid announced their new tools, I purchase both the VS ROS and the 1/4 sht sanders.

The rotation on the R2600 is less than its Ryobi cousin, but it appears to do better than an equal job. The Ridgid is certainly more durable I think and appears to be more heavy duty and I like the larger dust collection system. With a vacuum, there is hardly anything left in the room but a slight film of dust. The speed variation and slower rotation may make for a finer finish, but I use the 1/4 sheet finish sander or the Ryobi Corner Cat for the final stage of sanding.

The case is terrific as is the exchangeble mounting pad. The 10 ft cord is almost the perfect length and the lighted plug certainly is both helpful and unique.

With regards to a vacuum, I picked up the little $26 "Stinger" (also made by Ridgid). It is lightweight, small (2 gal), and is far more portable than a larger shop vac. A real plus is the powerful pickup and the ease of carrying. The cord and short hose easily store around the vac and the container empties quite easily. From my experience, the disposable vacuum bags offer better filtration than the standard filters on the larger shop vacs and are rather inexpensive at about $5 for three. (They seem to do good job of filtering dry wall dust, which my older shop vac won't do.) I use a vacuum hose from an old Hoover which is much longer and more flexable than the little 4 ft hose that comes with the "Stinger". The hose connection is the smaller diameter standard so almost anything will fit. Together with the ROS, it is easily moved in the work area without getting in the way.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X