X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throat plate insert for stacked dado blades

Anyone know where to get one of these for my Ridgid Table saw...or do I have to just make one?

Re: Throat plate insert for stacked dado blades

You didn't specify wich saw you own, these are for the two saws that I own. You will realize the you will be needing more than just one. Thin Kerf, Full Kerf, Various Dado Thickness and Angles. It can get expensive, but not if you make your own.

This one fits the TS3560 and TS3550

This one fits the R4511

Comment

Thanks...That could get very expensive indeed...I guess making them is really the way to go after all.

Comment

You can make them out of scrap wood for virtually nothing and within a few minutes. Why would anyone ever buy them?

Comment

Another vote for making your own zero-clearance inserts for every width blade you own and every dado-stack thickness you use. You avoid a lot of tear-out like that.
          Joe Spear

Comment

What is the correct procedure for making your own inserts?

Do you insert the blank into the cavity and use the existing mounting screws to hold the blank in place while manually raising the blade to cut the opening?

Comment

there are anumber of ways to make a ZCI. this video details a procedure:

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/178/...arance-insert/

two things i do that this video doesn't do are: (1) place a 1/8" spacer between the stock insert and the ZCI blank when cleaning up the edges with the pattern bit. this reduces the possibility of the bit contacting the stock plate, so neither can get damaged. (2) before removing the blank from the stock insert, i place the stock insert back in the saw and use scrap material to hold it in the opening as i raise the saw blade for the first "break through" cut. once this is done for each ZCI, i will place each ZCI in the slot, screw it down and complete the blade raise for the height i want through the ZCI.

using the fence to hold the blank down for the "break through" cut shown in the video runs the risk of raising the blade into the fence HTH.
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
                Anyone know where to get one of these for my Ridgid Table saw...or do I have to just make one?
                If you aren't looking for zero clearance insert you can order one from RIDGID parts. They make a steel dado throat plate for the 3650, and I'm sure for the 4511 as well.

Zero clearance inserts are nice, but I honestly think that it is perfectly fine to use a dado without one in many circumstances.

Comment

Ive only made three so far!
                  lets see - $23 each.
                  or a piece of 1/2" Oak for $6 (just what I like is all)

Times how ever many you need/want ?
                  adds up dont it !

Comment

I special ordered a Ridgid one, via contractor services for mine. PN: AC1040
                    Fits ts3650 and ts2400ls models. Best part, paid less than 20 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X