X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw problem (User induced!)

I set up my 14" bandsaw about 6 months ago, got it all adjusted and it worked fine. I used it only a few times, with the factory 3/8 blade. Then I let the saw sit for about 6 months. Being a Donald Dipshit, I forgot to release the blade tension.
    I went back to the saw, and of course the blade worked it's way off instantly. I released the tension, put everything back into alignment, and tried again, just turning the upper wheel by hand. The rubber on the top wheel worked its way off to the back. I tried several different tension settings, including almost no tension. The blade runs true, and in the center of the wheel, but the rubber belt works its way off in 2 or 3 revolutions. Do I need to put an adhesive on the wheel and reinstall the belt? Maybe the old belt is stretched and I just need to replace it? Any help would be appreciated.
    As for the inevitable personal abuse, save it. I have been had by experts and am virtually immune. I know it is my fault, but the question is - - How do I fix it?
    Thanks

Re: Bandsaw problem (User induced!)

Rubber tires require adhesive to hold them in place. Save yourself from the hassle and replace the original rubber tires with urethane. No adhesive required to install urethane tires plus they are more durable.

Available at Rockler

Comment

Thanks for the information. I went to the Rockler link and read the reviews, and ordered a set of their tires. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by idealaw View Post
        Thanks for the information. I went to the Rockler link and read the reviews, and ordered a set of their tires. Thanks again
        I think you will be happy with those. Put a small sign near the on/off switch reminding you to release the blade tension. I did this plus I hang the power cord over the release lever so I know it's released and I don't forget to tighten it before I turn it on. I have the Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw.

Red
        Red

Comment

Working...
        X