No announcement yet.

Made in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I hate seeing conversations like this at places like this. It makes me want to jump onto a big political soapbox and piss a lot of people off and I don't want to do that because there are other forums on the web to debate such issues.

But I'll put my 2cents in. God (and so does everyone I work with) knows that I'm patriotic. But I don't give rats rear end where something is made if it is made better and at a better value than other similar products. I want quality, value and a company that stands behind its products. Like Ridgid!!!

Comment

Hello everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a TS2424 and a newbe to both Rigid and this board. Like many others I purchased the TS because (1)I felt it had high quality, and(2)it is built in the US. This product happened to offer good value also.

All countries have "slock" manufactures and I'm willing to watch them fail. I shop for quality in every purchase I make, but where possible I bias purchases of quality products to those built here.

In answer to Jake's question, I'm willing to spend more to get quality and much more when it's made here.

Comment

Hey Techie : tell the 31000 people at Ford that just got canned because thier jobs went to Mexico. "Made in USA", is made by Americans. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
        He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

I would pay 10% more to buy the tool if i knew it was 100% made USA. And to say you don't care where a tool is made is to say you don't care about the future of this country and the future job hunting of your children. One other thing to look at when you must buy a product from overseas buy one that from a country that contributed to the 9/11 fund. Not a single japanese car manufacurer did...when my honda lease is up it wil be the last car i buy from asia.

Comment

Fact check?

These are excerpted quotes from Honda USA's web site:

"have raised $448,534 from thousands of Honda associates"
            "American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda of America Mfg., Inc." "have contributed a total of $1,100,534"
            "These combined efforts total $1,549,068."

Story is available via link from the American Honda web site, http://www.honda.com .

From the Toyota web site, November 13, 2001: "Toyota Announces Additional Donations to Disaster Relief Efforts, Raising Total to $1.93 Million"

That's an awful lot of money from companies that have made "no" contribution.

Dave
            No association

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: Dave Arbuckle ]

Comment

Last i checked no money came into thi8s country from overseas from either honda or toyota. I will check into it further and see if i am mistaken. Your post says honda of america....do you know for a fact that money came in from the japanese? And if so do you consider a few million dollars from a compnay that earn 100's of billions of dollars from this country something that would make me proud to drive a japanese import? We give more than that to japan in a week . Plus keep in mind that money coming from honda america would be mostly individual contributions from individuals..not direct corporate support. My point was that i personaly feel that japan was noticably and wrongly absent in support of this country .

[ 03-10-2002: Message edited by: tm311 ]

Comment

Tm, I suggest taking a look at this link. You have some misconceptions showing, particularly regarding multi-national corporations and how they do business. I think this might help you out, please be sure to look at the part titled "comments". [img]smile.gif[/img]
                http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blautomakers.htm

Dave

Comment

I realize that there was a fake email, and i did get that fowarded to me and i also read that it was a fake.....and i am also not an idiot when it comes to the global market. My point again was that i as a comsumer was offended to find that lack of support in particular that Japan showed. we as americans spend pour trillions of dollars into the asian market because people have the attitude "who cares wheres it made i just want it!!!!" I don't have that attitude....whenever possible i try to choose american. I recently bought a delta contractor saw and later found that it was a taiwanese product(36-650) lucky it was backorderd because i found out that it was not made in america so i cancelled the order and reordered the delta american made version. Obviously in this global economy its impossible to to know where things are made or who is getting rich from my money....i'm just saying that given the choice i will take an american made product when possible.; I sugest because this is a tool forum that you make your final point and we call it done...fair?

Comment

"I sugest because this is a tool forum that you make your final point and we call it done"

My final point has already been made. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Wow this thread grew quickly!

OK guys time to drop the philisophical discussions (and thats just what this is). Lets get back to talking tools.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
                        I have the TS2424, and just got the BS1400. I was on the message board asking how do I get the oil that had dried on the cast iron table. On my TS2424 the oil was still wet and the table was clean. On my BS1400 that you say is made in Taiwan the oil was dried and was not too clean. And after 2 weeks of owning it the Ridgid logo on the top cover is starting to peal off on all sides. The letters is still on but I think that afer about 2 or so more weeks they will come off. Don't get me wrong so far I am glad I spent the extra money. It does however make my stomach turn when things like that happen. I would feel better if all of your tools were completely made in the USA. I do think that nomatter how high Ridgids standards are overseas work force all ways try to save money any way they can. That is how they keep making sales the prices are low. Now at $500 for the BS1400 I would have rather paid $30 more for even a little better work. Ridgids service has been excellent in all of my experience and that makes a big difference in my book. Do try to get all of your tools made in USA.

Comment

Another perspective - I too buy American made products whenever I can, but only if the features and quality are as good or better than what I can buy from a foreign manufacturer. I don't owe anyone making inferior products a job. That's part of what's wrong with this country... When companies (and their employees) make high quality products with the features consumers want, they can't manufacture it fast enough to satisfy demand. That's job security. That's why I bought a Ridgid TS2424. I looked at the features, quality and price and decided Ridgid made what I needed with good quality at a price I was willing to pay. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong..

Comment

hi jake
                            are you sure about the all the ridgid vacs being made in the us, i beleive my ridgid 6 gallon unit is made in canda?

Comment

Yes the 6 & 8 gallons are made in Canada. The thread is pretty old and I made that post before the 6 & 8 gallons were available.

Jake

Comment

Re: Made in America

I myself will only buy American made products anymore if I can find them. I am now looking for an American made thickness planer. I have started replacing everything I have that is not American made. If we do not start buying all American made products then what jobs will be here in America for our children and grand children. Are they going to have to live out of shacks and how will they feed themselves. The way things are going the foreign countries are taking over America. BUY AMERICAN.

Comment

Working...
                                X