Made in America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Made in America

I get a ton of catalogs in the mail each month. LL Bean, Cabelas, etc. Most of the stuff in them is imported. Wouldn't it be nice if all catalogs had a "Made In America" section.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_M View Post
      As for me, I prefer to keep the money here where it will support my Country's and my family's future. As I see it, I get a lot more for my dollar in that context than I would get by spending on foreign stuff.
      I think there is a difference between foreign stuff that you buy from a country that "Plays Fair", and one that doesn't. I have no problem buying something made in Canada or Germany, because I don't believe their government is working to prevent American companies from accessing their markets or manipulating things in a way to give their companies an unfair advantage in the American market. They also have environmental regulations, and worker protections that rival those in America.

I would prefer to buy American if other things are equal, but I don't feel like I am supporting bad people the same way I do when I buy Chinese stuff.

Comment

I would agree with you under normal conditions, i.e., a healthy balance of trade. The problem is not with Canada and Germany, or any number of countries.

The problem is that at this point, things are anything but healthy. The trade balance is so lopsided that our industry is being decimated. It's not about being fair with the friendlies. We are in deep deep yogurt, and ANY dollar that is not spent in the US doesn't do anything to provide US jobs.

So at this particular time in our history, I think we need to pull our horns in, period. Even though it may not be China, which I agree is like feeding the enemy, any money that leaves the country has left for good and isn't helping.

Keep in mind that there's not much chance of Canada or Germany or anyone else for that matter will be stepping up help us economically. First, they don't have the means. And second... many of those countries have very little respect for he United States. Many in Europe in particular think we're fat, lazy, greedy and, yes, stupid... and deserve to fail.

Comment

Many in Europe in particular think we're fat, lazy, greedy and, yes, stupid... and deserve to fail.
          And in some ways they may be right.

We, as a people, have let ourselves get in this condition, just as roughly 1 out of 10 is overweight, 1 out of 7 is at the poverty level now. We have brought this on ourselves, by not being more engaged in our local, state, and national politics. Too many (including me on some issues) have said; "let someone else do it", and then when we don't like what we get we complain but still do nothing to make it right.

We let the same political cronies sit in office for decades and don't vote them out, IF we (generally speaking) even vote at all. If there were term limits of Senators and Congressmen, we could break their cycle of greed and self service.

One of the areas where you can have the most affect on your tax bill and the future of the country is at your local school board meeting. If your like me over half your property tax is eaten up by school taxes (for me it is 57%), so getting this cost under control can have a big reward for everyone at tax time. You can also have some say in how and what your kids are taught, helping to ensure they learn the correct subjects and are instilled with those values that helped to make this country great.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I would be willing to pay up to 10 to 15% more to buy a toll made in the USA to keep our jobs here.We know that when our jobs are gone , they are gone for ever.
            Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
              I would be willing to pay up to 10 to 15% more to buy a toll made in the USA to keep our jobs here.We know that when our jobs are gone , they are gone for ever.
              Bert
              But would you be willing to pay 200-300% more?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by hamhand View Post
                I have shopped price for tools over $50 and as you say, foreign-made usually win. However, I am rethinking that as I have a Delta planer (12") that I have been unable to get a part for since 7/5/2000! I thought that a "good" name would assure me of service when I needed it-not so.I believe I will go for USA tools in the future and call the price difference a "service charge". It seems silly to have a tool down for three months for lack of a $7.00 part.
                Well, I try to buy American, but ended up with a Harbor Freight Dedicated Mortiser. In storage, the top of the unit fell over and crushed the motor fan unit. I called Harbor Freight and they said a replacement fan blade would have to be ordered from China. They charged me something like $4.50 for the part and another $4.00 shipping. After a little over a month the part came in the mail... It's a piece of crap tool, but the service was excellent... There you go... Harbor Freight VS Delta... service???

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  But would you be willing to pay 200-300% more?

Mark
                  On occasion I have. Case in point: I could have bought two or three Harbor Freight motorcycle lift tables for the cost of the Handy S.A.M. 1000 I bought. Made in the US, repairable, warranty, and not made in China were deciding factors.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                    On occasion I have. Case in point: I could have bought two or three Harbor Freight motorcycle lift tables for the cost of the Handy S.A.M. 1000 I bought. Made in the US, repairable, warranty, and not made in China were deciding factors.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post

...and I bought my Made in America Pit Bull Jack for the same reason but I expect we are the exception to the rule.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbWRfBZY-ng

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                        X