X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Expectations

O wise men of RIDGID tools, I'd be grateful for some pointers here.

I have a BS14002, and was unhappy at the vibration. I built a very solid mini-workbench for a stand, as I had read that the stand was a vibration inducer. I changed the belt for a link belt. I've balanced the wheels as best I can, they seem to be a little smoother. I set the pulleys to be co-planar, and the wheels as best I can to be co-planar. I think they're still maybe 1/32 or less out though.

I still have some vibration, and it's enough to fail the nickel test (but only just). I have an expectation that it should be possible to adjust the saw so it passes that test, and hence will be able to cut smoothly. At present, it would be on a par with a handheld jigsaw.

With the blade off, the motor now spins the lower wheel without too much vibration, and passes the nickel test. With the blade on, it fails. I was therefore thinking of changing the blade, but then I thought of the Grizzly riser kit, which comes with the longer blade. It would be my medium term desire to put a riser block in, so I may as well bite that bullet at the same time, as long as the consensus view is that the saw is capable of smooth cuts (ie being vibration free/minimized).

Ultimately, I'd expect to be able to make a featherboard, using bandsaw kerfs, and have those kerfs be pretty much as straight as they would be had I cut them on the table saw, albeit much smaller kerfs. At present, they would be jagged. Am I being realistic in my expectations from this saw, or am I trying to put lipstick on a pig?

Re: Bandsaw Expectations

Check this thread. Lots of good info from WoodJunkie. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25028

Comment

Thanks, I think I have read that post before. There's no way I'm putting $717 all told into a saw that cost me $184. Another $100 or so, that's fine, but not if the best I can do is not much better than what I have. I'd be better off cutting loose and buying a better saw altogether. For $717, one could buy a significantly better machine.

I suppose my real issue is knowing what is a realistic expectation (in terms of cut quality) from the saw. I understand the principles of truing up the saw, and the possible upgrades, but what should I expect at the end of it. I'd be happy with a straight, smooth cut in 4/4. I'm not there yet!

Comment

There is a article by a Michael Fortune in Wood Magazine October 2006, in the article he fine tunes the Ridgid BS and gets it to perform very well. I think it's worth going to your local library, making a copy of the article and putting some of his tips into use . Pat

Comment

Originally posted by PMR413 View Post
          There is a article by a Michael Fortune in Wood Magazine October 2006, in the article he fine tunes the Ridgid BS and gets it to perform very well. I think it's worth going to your local library, making a copy of the article and putting some of his tips into use . Pat
          Roadster280, if you'd like, PM me your address and I can make a copy of that article and send it to you.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks BadgerDave for the offer, and PMR413 for the suggestion. I found the article online in a less salubrious part of the internet. I'm taking a flight later, so I'll have a read on the plane. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X