X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Inserts

Through the agony of frustration, the pains of ignorance and the chance of sounding like a total moron I must ask a question most of you will probably laugh at, but that's o.k. my wife laughs at me every night before I go to bed and if I can get back up the next day feeling good this should be a cake.
    "When building jigs where a threaded insert is called for how in the (insert expletive of your choice) do you screw it in without ripping the ears off?"
    The only ones I can find locally are brass, too soft to screw into oak they don't seem to get started without ripping off an ear. What's the secret?

Re: Threaded Inserts

i am assuming you are trying to put this style of insert in.

first have you tried to use bees wax on the threads?
    and another tip that helps is if you use a bolt with a nut on its threads screwed into the insert. then tighten the nut agaist the insert enough the bolt can't turn in the insert as you screw the insert into the wood.

then unjam the nut from the insert and remove the bolt.

here is a link to a jig to help install the inserts straight.
    http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/144/...raised-panels/
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MAS; 03-08-2010, 10:56 PM. Reason: added web link

Comment

Using a bolt and nut to hold the insert as you install works well. Adding to that, if you have a drill press, is to put the bolt in the chuck (ensures that you stay "true" as the insert goes in)
      Last edited by tomapple; 03-09-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Most hardware stores carry...
        "T-Nuts"

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
          Using a bolt and nut to hold the insert as you install works well. Adding to that, if you have a drill press, is to put the bolt in the chuck (ensures that you stay "true" as the insert goes in)
          I use both of tomapple's solutions. I never put a screwdriver blade in the slot and try to drive it in that way. I think the slot is a gimmick to get you run back to the hardware store to get some more to replace the ones you ruined.

Adam mentioned T-nuts and they're good too when the design permits. I like to put a small wood screw or two in the flange, right where the "teeth" bend up, to hold it in place. This keeps the bolt from knocking out the t-nut, which generally causes colorful language.

Comment

With all due respect: You are tapping the holes for the inserts--aren't you? There are special taps for these which leave the bottom two threads "tight" for a binding fit. Just my 2ยข worth, David

Comment

Thurman
              If by tapping you mean a pre-drilled hole just smaller than the insert then yes I am tapping the hole. I ended up having to drill a hole large enough to drop the insert in and then epoxy it in place. I know that's not the correct way buy I am ripping the ears off trying to thread them in. The brass it too soft to be 'screwed' in.

Comment

Using the bolt and jam-nut method, I put eight threaded inserts into a walnut dining table top with no losses. Try it.

The tool set-up:

the results;

Go

PS: these were the cheap inserts bought from the Borg (actually Lowes)
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks I will try this method immediately!!

Comment

Good tip, Gofor, that's what I always do. Thread a bolt into the insert, screw the bolt in, remove bolt leaving insert. Works perfectly every time.

Comment

No, I meant a real "thread cutting" tap for threaded inserts, the same principle as tapping metal. You would run the tap into a properly sized hole and it leaves threads for the insert with the bottom thread being tight to bind the insert in. These even work in blind holes. I have not seen a threaded insert which was designed to cut it's own threads in wood. These taps do not work too good with MDF. David

Comment

Thurman,

Perhaps the following web site will provide enlightenment

http://www.ezlok.com/InsertsWood/index.html

Comment

I learn something new each day. Thanks. BUT-maybe because I'm a machinist by trade: IF you drill a hole the correct size in wood, then the insert just "screws" in by itself, the insert does not have that much holding power. Maybe I'll just go buy some and learn. David

Comment

Actually, I would think that cutting threads in wood (eg removing the material for the thread) would be weaker than leaving the material in the hole by forming them as the inserts do (and as all wood screws do).

Think about it...same as holds true for rolled threads versus cut threads.

Comment

Working...
                            X